DSS-7 and STL-11000CM

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by RFO CCD, Oct 31, 2016.

1. RFO CCD

RFO CCD Standard User

Hi:

Our observatory recently acquired a DSS-7 and an STL-11000CM, new in the box but from about 6 years ago. Our understanding from the donor was that those two instruments would be paired to do spectroscopy, but it would seem the donor was incorrect: on page 3 of the DSS-7 manual, it specifically states that the DSS-7 won't work with the STL-11000CM because it can't achieve focus. Is the camera chip is too distant from the DSS-7 to allow focus? What is the distance required?

Since that time six years ago or so, are there any new adaptors or optics available that would permit this pairing?

Thank you.

Steve Smith
    Robert Ferguson Observatory

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

All of those products were discontinued years ago.

I would not recommend a "CM" color chip camera anyway. The Bayer matrix will mess up the spectroscopy data.

As I recall, the DSS-7 was designed for the ST-7 camera. We do have one old ST-7XME on the shelf, if you're interested in purchasing it. It would be an "as-is" sale, but it's fully functional.

3. RFO CCD

RFO CCD Standard User

Yes, as I said, this equipment has been gifted to us but we're a bit baffled as to why a color chip, and why the STL camera was purchased to "pair" with the DSS-7 when they obviously don't fit.

How much are you asking for the ST-7XME?

thnx for the quick response!

Steve

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

US $2295 plus shipping. The price includes a "Deluxe" Pelican case, power supply, nosepiece, etc.

Sale is "as-is", but the unit was never used and is fully functional.

5. RFO CCD

RFO CCD Standard User

Thanks Doug. I'll have to ask my board if they'll approve the purchase.

Meanwhile, curiosity: is there any research that can be done with the STL-11000CM, or is a "pretty picture" only camera?

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Some people do photometry with DSLRs, amazingly enough, so I would imagine it would be possible to do it with this camera as well.