Dual ST-i Capability

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Slewmaster, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Slewmaster

Slewmaster Cyanogen Customer

I'm thinking of using a color ST-i for a view finder using a wide FOV scope and a mono ST-i for tracking with a tight FOV scope. Will a computer programs like CDDOps and/or MaximDL have any difficulty displaying images from these ST-i cameras at the same time?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

MaxIm DL can handle two SBIG cameras simultaneously. The only trick is that it won't be able to distinguish which is which from the model ID.

The trick is to power up the computer, then plug in the imaging camera first, followed by the guider camera. That will establish the USB bus addresses in the right order so that the software will pick up the imaging camera first, followed by the guider camera.

3. Slewmaster

Slewmaster Cyanogen Customer

Thanks for your speedy response doug.

I'm assuming that procedure would work as long as I'm using CCDOps for both cameras or MaximDL for both cameras. Would that same trick work if I used CCDOps for one camera and MaximDL for the other camera?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We've never tried it, so I can't guarantee it would work. That said, most likely if you start CCDOPS and connect first, it will grab the first camera that was connected. Then MaxIm DL would grab the second camera.

Not guaranteeing this, though! Please do let us know if it works for you.

5. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

CCDOPS can control one SBIG camera at a time. If you want to control both of them, you have to start the second CCDOPS instance.
    Otherwise, you can do what Doug proposed above, ie. start CCDOPS with one SBIG camera and Maxim DL with the second one.
    The camera claimed with CCDOPS will not be available for Maxim, of couse. Maxim can see it on USB bus, but will not be able to open
    that device.
    Jan

6. Tetzu sashida

Tetzu sashida Standard User

Hello I am trying to use my ST8300 and the STi guider kit but it does not take both cameras in the same program, it only use one or the other, how can I use both of them the image grabber ST 8300 and the guiding camera ST I?

7. Rick Kuntz

Rick Kuntz Cyanogen Customer

I believe when I use my ST8300c/Sti combo Maxim will define each; one for the image camera and one for the guider when you use the set up tab...