Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud Error code 1001

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Jones Howell, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Jones Howell

Jones Howell Cyanogen Customer

I have maximdl ver 6.14 and when I try to connect to an ST-8300C it fails showing error code 1001 meaning maximdl can't find an sx dll file. What do I do, where can I find to file and where is it supposed to be located? The SBIG driver checker runs without error and all drivers have been updated.
    JV

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Have you accidentally selected SX Universal instead of SBIG Universal for your camera in the Setup tab?

3. Jones Howell

Camera 1 is selected as SBIG Universal and Camera 2 is selected as none.

4. Jones Howell

I thought that there were some software experts at Diffraction Limited that would pick up on this problem. I realize that the software involved here is in the SBIG Universal driver and hopefully there is someone around that is familiar with it. People at SBIG support pointed me this way to look for a solution.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi "JV" - I'm just another customer. Can you provide a screen shot of the problem? Does Windows see the camera - that is, does it show up in the Windows Device Manager? What version of Windows are you running? In the SBIG Driver checker, does the Firmware tab have the ability to connect to the camera and report on the firmware version?
    Has anything changed in your environment recently?
    Also, Diffraction Limited purchased SBIG, so am not sure that SBIG referred you to Diffraction. as it's the same people.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sorry if we're being a little slow, the programmers are up to their ears right now. We're simultaneously working on 6.15 and preparing to launch new camera models. So I had a look at sbigudrv myself.

That error message doesn't make any sense; it's not something the driver would produce.

Please do the following:

1. ZIP up your Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings folder and upload that so we can have a look.

2. Start SBIG Driver Checker, click Debug Log, and turn on all logging functions. Reproduce the error and send us the log.

Also a tip: after sending us the log, turn all of those logging functions off again. Otherwise your camera will work really really slowly!

7. Jones Howell

Thanks Doug, I know you guys are busy and I am also, thanks for responding. I must be pretty inept because I cannot locate a Settings folder so I can't zip it up and send it to you and also I can't find the SBIG Driver Checker Debug Log to click. To get the SBIG Driver checker to run I must run it as administrator, otherwise I get an error when it tries to run.

8. Jones Howell

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Look under My Documents.

The Driver Checker should automatically ask for elevation when you run it. If not, you are probably running an old version. Please download and install the latest version.

10. Jones Howell

Attached Files:

11. Jones Howell

Okay, here comes the config file

12. Jones Howell

13. Jones Howell

Doug, where do I find the latest version of SBIG Driver Checker

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

15. Jones Howell

I searched for CCDOPS with google and found a Diffraction Limited web site which says it has the latest sbig driver checker and also the latest ccdops apps. I downloaded and installed both. CCDOPS works, just took a 5 min dark, and driver checker did not ask for altitude. However maximdl still won't connect and reports error 1001. What should I try now?

16. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

JH - when Doug said it should ask for Elevation, he was referring to Windows asking if you would allow it to run at a higher security privilege. He did not mean elevation as in how high up off of mean sea level or altitude.
    Try right clicking the MaxIm DL icon on the desktop, and select Run As Administrator. Then when MaxIm comes up, File, Exit. Then run it again normally (by double clicking the icon).
    Try connecting to the camera again.

17. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I don't know why you used Google - I gave you the link and you even quoted it back to me!

Again, we'll be needing the debug log. Here's how to do that:
    1. Start the SBIG Driver Checker
    2. Click Yes when it asks "Do you want to make changes to this device?"
    3. Click "Debug Log"
    4. Click "Set Checkboxes / All"
    5. Click "Set Path" and choose a place to put your debug log where you can find it.
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Done.
    Now reproduce the error.

When you are done, close MaxIm DL and start the Driver Checker again, and turn OFF all debug check boxes (otherwise it will really slow down camera operations). Then send us the file.

18. Jones Howell

Doug
    I searched using google before I saw your link.
    When I start the SBIG Driver Checker it doesn't ask me if I want to make changes to this device so I never see Debug Log

19. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Here's another way:
    Press the Debug Log button in SBIG Driver Checker.
    I've circled it in green.

debuglog.png

It will then bring up the screen to the right (green arrow pointing at it).
    Then turn on all the checkboxes using the ALL button (4th one down at right).
    Then Set Path and pick a place to store the debug log so you can find it later.
    Hit OK.

20. Jones Howell