Resolved Failure to Connect STT-8300 to Maxim DL Pro 6

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by BobH., Oct 30, 2022.

1. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

I have enjoyed using my SBIG STT-8300M camera for a few years with no issues connecting to Maxim DL Pro 6. Recently I couldn’t get the camera to connect to Maxim.
    When I turned the camera on and connected it by USB directly to my laptop, the camera is listed as SBIG USB-64 and as working properly in the Device Manager, and that drivers are up-to-date. When I try to connect in Maxim, I get the message: Error initializing camera or filter wheel / Error opening camera 1 / Open Device Failed: 27. In the hope of resolving the issue, I uploaded/updated the latest versions of:
    - Windows 11 Home 22H2
    - Maxim DL Pro 6.30
    - SBIG Driver Checker 64
    - ASCOM 6.6 SP1
    I have also updated the camera firmware. Hopefully I have updated everthing properly.
    I am obviously missing something that is preventing the camera from connecting. I would appreciate any suggestion to help resolve this. Thank you.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Curious. Error 27 indicates that the drivers are NOT installed and working correctly.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

How did you update the firmware if the computer doesn't see the camera?

4. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

The Device Manager sees the camera and states that it is working properly and the drivers are up-to-date; and when I checked for firmware update in the SBIG Device Checker, it said that I had the latest firmware. That's why I'm confused.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

On the phone now.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Resolution was simple:
    Drivers were already installed, camera already happy in Windows 11, MaxIm configuration needed to be set when the camera was powered up. Camera 1 = SBIG Universal, with port as STT8300, Guide Chip = External, [x] Dual Chip checked.
    File Settings updated.
    File Configuration saved.

7. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

I had inadvertently changed the camera configuration in Maxim, and didn't know how to get it back to the correct settings. Colin made quick work with that for me. Thanks to Colin for the exceptional help.