Feature Request - USB power mgmt OFF

Discussion in 'STC Series CMOS' started by Tim Povlick, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick Cyanogen Customer

For the STC-7, the driver sets the allow OS to shutdown USB power ON when Maxim connects to the camera. At least that is what is observed at this Observatory. Software Versions: Maxim 6.28 and latest API / driver and Windows 10 21H2 updated to absolute latest. This behavior was observed on earlier Maxim builds.
    If one clears the allow OS to shutdown USB power to the device (camera) and later reconnects via Maxim, the aforementioned control bit will be turned back ON. Running automation with a "wait for event" will result in Camera Disconnected error from Maxim (ask me how I know).

Feature Request - make this setting sticky.

Many Thanks,
    Tim

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you tell us what version of the Windows device driver is in place?
    Go into Device Manager, properties on the STC-7, Driver tab. It should say something about FTDIchip.
    Click Driver Details, and upload a screenshot here.

3. Tim Povlick

Here is the requested image. Note, it's "SBIG Camera" that flips the pwr mgmt bit when connecting the camera.

TU // Tim

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Unfortunately that's not within our control. The drivers are provided by FTDI. We just sign them with our VID/PID so they load when our cameras are connected.

5. Tim Povlick

Understood. I shall endeavor to be sure to reset that bit before each session.
    Expect nice pics on the morning.

Thanks Doug....

Tim

6. Tim Povlick

Running the automation again last night but this time I was present to watch over it. While the mount was in motion the "camera disconnected" message came up and I was able to reconnect w/o any loss. It appears a cable was bumped causing this problem and not a USB sleep condition. Tonight I will leave the USB pwr Mgmt bit set and see if it's actually being used by the driver.

When reconnecting to the camera, the cooler was OFF (from ON) and I didn't realize this It would be "nice" if the Maxim UI showed the cooler OFF radio button in red and the ON button in green. Also, when first connecting to the camera the start of the cooler (on/off) is not shown in the radio button even though the application knows the state. Perhaps sometime when the programmers have a free couple of minutes that could code a feature enhancement?