Filterwheel not functioning

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Roelof Platenkamp, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Roelof Platenkamp

Roelof Platenkamp Cyanogen Customer

My STF8300 worked fine since reinstalling it after repair last september. It is in a remote observatory, no access for anyone. This morning I noticed that the filterwheel was not moving and that I could not connect to the camera (error 06). Tried the CCDOps app, yielded "filterwheel busy"...

What now? Two month after a repair. No hot-plugging took place...the first time this happened the camera had been in use for about a month, ie brand new. Now it worked for about two months...

Help is welcome,
    Roelof

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Roelof,
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having a problem.
    Could you provide the serial number of the filter wheel and the camera?
    Which parts went in for service? (Just the camera, or just the filter wheel, or both?)
    Did they go to @Bill in our SBIG repair centre? Or to a dealer?

3. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Sent in through Baader? Serial number 83F010688?

-Bill

4. Roelof Platenkamp

Hi Colin, Hi Bill, thanks for the quick reaction. Unfortunately I don't have the serial numbers with me here in my home in Germany; they are in our holiday home on the Canary Islands. I awarded the contract for the entire observatory to ScopeDome in Germany, they changed their name to DomeParts Optical last year. As far as I know they resourced the camera/filterwheel package from Baader. It went back, camera plus filterwheel in September to SBIG repair center, so I think Bill has the right number :). I hope this helps.

I sincerely hope this can be resolved without sending the camera back as I will loose another couple of months. The projects was started in March 2018, and the unit was only fully operational in August 2019, and then the camera issue emerged.
    Thanks, Roelof

5. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

It sounds like this is the camera sent in by Baader. There was a fuse on the I2C board that was blown. It blew so fiercely that one of the solder pads was damaged and came off with the fuse during replacement. I suspect the same thing again. I haven't ever seen an instance where the fuse blew for another reason other than a hot plug.

-Bill

6. Roelof Platenkamp

Bill, the camera was working fine and there was absolutely no one unplugging any cables...is there a way we can ascertain that we are dealing with a blown fuse? Or is the only way forward that I send the camera back for another repair? Is there another reason that can cause the fuse to blow? I don't want this to happen again.

I like the camera but at the moment I am not a happy camper as you can imagine.

Grateful for your advice,
    kind regards,
    Roelof

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Let’s rule out a possible software or configuration error first. Can someone here remote into your machine to investigate?

8. Roelof Platenkamp

Certainly. I always use Remote desktop, but we can also use teamviewer. just let me know.

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Send me your connection details (Teamviewer or RD as you wish) via private message. (Click on my name at left)

10. Roelof Platenkamp

First of all: Happy New Year!
    So the camera has been with you again for a couple of months and I re-installed it in August 2020...A bit later than planned due to Corona Restrictions.
    I have changed the configuration so that the camera is switched on prior to the obeservations and then switched off again, in addition extra care was taken to keep the observatory dust free.
    A PV-Battery microgrid was installed to ensure that stable power supply is available, we are "off the grid", so no power spikes or cumberesome harmonics.

The camera worked well till yesterday...then the by-now-well-known error code 6 returned, with the message that the filterwheel could not be initiated.
    Again, no cables were unplugged.

To make sure there were no other issues the PC was rebooted, the USB cables switched, ie all the usual checks were made. The camera refuses to work.

So although the run was better then before, ie 5 months, I have the same problem again. No need to say I am very disappointed. Something is seriously wrong with this camera.
    Again I will be unable to use my observatory for a prolonged period.
    Previously I have used my old ZWO1600 C with filterwheel (!) to fill the gap between repairs. No issues with that camera/filterwheel combination.

How are we going to resolve this?

Kind regards,
    Roelof Paltenkamp

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hello Roelof,
    Am sorry to hear this.

Start with carefully reviewing all items in this article:
    https://forum.diffractionlimited.co...connects-turn-off-usb-selective-suspend.7848/
    Windows 10 updates/upgrades often revert behaviour and cause connection problems with a variety of hardware.

Are you running the camera off the original SBIG AC power supply, or a DC feed from the microgrid batteries?

Was the PV system professionally installed? Does it have proper AC grounding (e.g. 3 metre ground rod hammered into the earth)? Has it been inspected by a professional licensed electrician?
    We've had a handful of customers running Solar power systems, and getting a professional in oftenhelps.

12. Roelof Platenkamp

Hi Colin, thanks for your reply. The Windows Power Management Plan is fully in line with the article, and all USB selective suspends are turned off.

The camera runs off the SBIG AC Power supply.

The PV sustem was professionally installed, and indeed it has all the required grounding and certification. The installer is SolarLand SA.
    The Alluna Telescope, the 10Micron 4000 and the ScopeDome, and all other senitive equipment run without any problems. I run ACP Controller and Scheduler and Maxim.

Any words of wisdom?

Kind regards,
    Roelof

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

14. Roelof Platenkamp

I reviewed article, downloaded the fix 20H2, but that did not change anything. As before , error 6, not initializing the filterwheel.

Any other suggestions?

Kind regards,
    Roelof

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Have you fully power cycled everything since applying the patch?
    eg turned off the computer, camera power, USB hub power, etc.
    (I realize you have a remote setup and this is difficult to diagnose).

16. Roelof Platenkamp

Hi Colin, I rebooted the computer and took the power off the camera; I will ask my property manager to do a full power recycle tomorrow and I will let you know the result.
    Kind regards, Roelof

17. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, let us know. We might be able to do a remote session to see if there is something obvious. Do you have any photos of the setup to help us visualize what is there and how connected?

18. Roelof Platenkamp

Colin, I will send you some pictures tomorrow. I am calling it a day for now, kind regards, Roelof

19. Roelof Platenkamp

Good morning Colin, we recycled the power again, computer, USB hub, Camera. No improvement, error code 6.
    I attached some photos for your perusal.

Kind regards,
    Roelof

Attached Files:

20. Roelof Platenkamp

Hi Colin, did you have a chance to look into my problem yet?
    Kind regards,
    Roelof