Filterwheel not functioning

Discussion in 'STF Series' started by Roelof Platenkamp, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Roelof Platenkamp

Roelof Platenkamp Standard User

My STF8300 worked fine since reinstalling it after repair last september. It is in a remote observatory, no access for anyone. This morning I noticed that the filterwheel was not moving and that I could not connect to the camera (error 06). Tried the CCDOps app, yielded "filterwheel busy"...

What now? Two month after a repair. No hot-plugging took place...the first time this happened the camera had been in use for about a month, ie brand new. Now it worked for about two months...

Help is welcome,
    Roelof

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Roelof,
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having a problem.
    Could you provide the serial number of the filter wheel and the camera?
    Which parts went in for service? (Just the camera, or just the filter wheel, or both?)
    Did they go to @Bill in our SBIG repair centre? Or to a dealer?

3. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Sent in through Baader? Serial number 83F010688?

-Bill

4. Roelof Platenkamp

Hi Colin, Hi Bill, thanks for the quick reaction. Unfortunately I don't have the serial numbers with me here in my home in Germany; they are in our holiday home on the Canary Islands. I awarded the contract for the entire observatory to ScopeDome in Germany, they changed their name to DomeParts Optical last year. As far as I know they resourced the camera/filterwheel package from Baader. It went back, camera plus filterwheel in September to SBIG repair center, so I think Bill has the right number :). I hope this helps.

I sincerely hope this can be resolved without sending the camera back as I will loose another couple of months. The projects was started in March 2018, and the unit was only fully operational in August 2019, and then the camera issue emerged.
    Thanks, Roelof

5. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

It sounds like this is the camera sent in by Baader. There was a fuse on the I2C board that was blown. It blew so fiercely that one of the solder pads was damaged and came off with the fuse during replacement. I suspect the same thing again. I haven't ever seen an instance where the fuse blew for another reason other than a hot plug.

-Bill

6. Roelof Platenkamp

Bill, the camera was working fine and there was absolutely no one unplugging any cables...is there a way we can ascertain that we are dealing with a blown fuse? Or is the only way forward that I send the camera back for another repair? Is there another reason that can cause the fuse to blow? I don't want this to happen again.

I like the camera but at the moment I am not a happy camper as you can imagine.

Grateful for your advice,
    kind regards,
    Roelof

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Let’s rule out a possible software or configuration error first. Can someone here remote into your machine to investigate?

8. Roelof Platenkamp

Certainly. I always use Remote desktop, but we can also use teamviewer. just let me know.

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Send me your connection details (Teamviewer or RD as you wish) via private message. (Click on my name at left)