Firmware update snafuu

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Dan Wilson, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Cyanogen Customer

I just updated the drivers that were out of date and since I was having a problem with my guide chip occasionally not reading out any data after an exposure, I thought I would also check the firmware. I decided to go ahead and try an update as the firmware was not current according to the download. So I press the "update camera firmware" button and it started to download the firmware but then just stopped about 1/5th of the way of the download bar and froze the program. Now after getting out of that I can't connect to the camera and the driver checker says it cannot communicate with the camera. Is this one of those situations where the camera is bricked and has to be sent in???

2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Dan, sometimes it takes a while to update the firmware. You have to let it just take its time. If you interrupt the update, even if it takes a while you will brick the camera and it has to come back to be reprogramed.

You need to email bill@sbig.com about getting it flashed.

3. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes, it sure sounds like you bricked the camera. You'll have to send it in to Bill to reflash it.

If the program appears to be not responding at any point during the download, that's just Windows being Windows. Windows is getting upset because the program isn't responding very quickly, mainly because it's busy downloading the file, so terminating it is decidedly NOT a good thing to do.

5. Dan Wilson

Thanks for the advise guys! I sent the camera in a few days ago so hopefully I'll get it back soon and be a little wiser next time. :)

Dan

6. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

The camera arrived today, has been reflashed and is working again. It'll be headed home soon Dan.

7. Dan Wilson

That's great news Bill!! I sure do appreciate it!

Dan

8. Dan Wilson

I see you made a pinned post about updating the firmware! I learned in college that if you can't be a good example, then you have an obligation to be a horrible warning! :)
    Thanks again Doug and Bill!

Dan