First impressions after trying Maxim DL DSLR

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by Aleksandr Naumov, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Aleksandr Naumov

Aleksandr Naumov Standard User

Today I've got trial version of the software. I'd like to use it with my Olympus E-500.

At the very first launch, program crashed, I just tried to organize toolbars when the program hung.
    At the third launch, program crashed again.
    (As senior software engineer, I was surprised by details of the crash. Poor QA? that bug was trivial NULL pointer dereferencing)

Well, there are bugs everywhere. But...
    After few hours, I still unable to take images from E-500. Either camera or software continuously hung, often when "reading", sometimes when "taking dark frame". However my camera is Ok, battery is fresh, firmware is latest possible, cable is good.
    Let me tell nothing about GUI of Olympus plug-in. Time after time it's unresponsive. "Connect" button can be pressed when I expect it to be disabled (camera is "connected" at this time).

Finally, I have few ideas: 1) to dig into forums, asking people for proper camera settings (if I missed something) or their experience with the software. 2) to search for some SDK which would allow me to implement own software.
    In any way, it's unbelievable to pay $400 for DSLR license of the software which crashes every 15 minutes.

P.S. Upon request, I could spend some time to reproduce the bugs and send crash dumps to appropriate persons.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It's extremely unusual to have crashes like that. We definitely want to investigate.

We can also look into the Olympus issues for you. I'll have our DSLR developer contact you to investigate.

3. Tim

Tim Staff Member

We have not had any other reports of crashing on first startup, so the issue may be localized to that computer. Have you tried a different computer?

What OS are you running?

Latest camera drivers?

4. Aleksandr Naumov

Well, thanks for replies!

In short, I tried to launch the trial on Lenovo Thinkpad W530 with Intel Core i7-3820QM, 8GB, and Windows 7 Pro x64.
    By the way, naturally I prefer to use 64-bit software. Even don't know why I still use x86-based products.

At the moment, I did not tried to launch on different machine. I will do that, of course, as well as on VMware-based system.

Once I get the crash, let me collect all needed data, to be able to send it.

5. Aleksandr Naumov

One more thing.

I tried to reproduce crash with toolbars movements (not reproduced yet).
    Then I uninstalled the software completely, restarted machine, then installed demo again.
    At first launch, I understood the "uninstall" process wasn't clean: at first, my demo license appeared inside "User registration" dialog when I tried to "Enter License"; at second, after program started, I observed non-default toolbars arrangement equal to those I made before uninstalling.

That's not clean uninstall.

6. Aleksandr Naumov

Below is a screen shot with registry key which was not deleted by uninstall process.

regkey1.jpg

Somehow my machine remembers license entered.

7. Aleksandr Naumov

At the moment, I was able to reproduce the crash in Windows 7 Pro x86 running on VMware Player.
    This bug can be reproduced only after clean install, at first launch.
    When user tries to arrange all these toolbars, user notes some toolbars are not moving; all buttons on that toolbars are greyed out.
    So user tries to drag few times, after which the program crashes.
    Please note, in case user does not move toolbars and closes application, then the bug will not reproduced anymore. step1 - move toolbars and experience some unresponsive.png

step2 - try to close stretch window when unresponsive.png

Attached Files:

8. Aleksandr Naumov

Unfortunately, for some reason I was unable to collect crash dump.
    My MS VS 2012 is registered as system debugger - but there was no "Debug the program" option t the moment of crash.

9. Aleksandr Naumov

Just another bug.

NightVision.png

I turned on "Auto Night Vision" setting. So I observe how GUI hungs at the time image is transferred. During continuous capture, it's hard to stop it.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  10. Aleksandr Naumov

It seems I realize why the program hangs with Olympus. Once I removed lens, I was able to capture images.
    Probably camera tries to do autofocus and fails to? Ok, but how do the program interprets this? By informing "no camera"? That's not user-friendly.

11. Owen Lawrence

Owen Lawrence Retired Staff

Regarding your Olympus camera, first, please review the on-line help if you have not done so already:
    http://www.cyanogen.com/help/maximdl/Olympus_DSLR.htm

If you have an auto-focus lens attached, you must set it to manual focus.

Be sure to install Olympus software and show that it can successfully control your camera on your system. If it cannot, there is little hope that MaxIm DL can.

Have you tried any of your experiments on a natively installed operating system? I'm not certain if running a virtual machine is introducing problems, but it certainly adds a layer of complexity. It's worth ruling out as a potential source of problems.

Regarding the crash when manipulating toolbars, as Tim said, we have never seen this symptom before. Have you changed your Desktop profile away from its default? What is the value of "ActiveSkin" in your Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings\General.txt file? Perehaps there is a conflict we were not aware of.

When MaxIm DL is uninstalled, the user's settings (such as toolbar customizations and license entry) are deliberately left untouched. It just happens that the toolbar settings are stored in the registry, unlike most of the users' settings files, which are stored in the path I mentioned above.

- Owen -

12. Aleksandr Naumov

Hello,
    thanks for reply!

I already read on-line help carefully.

I did set camera to manual focus; every time I disconnect camera from Maxim and (physically) from machine,
    I observe "single-shot autofocus" setting set in the camera - regardless of "manual focus" setting set previously, before connecting camera to PC.
    Does Oly driver or Maxim changes my setting to the default one? I think so.

After successfully connected camera to Maxim, when I capture, camera tries to find the focus and definitely fails to do so, exposure does not start.
    The capture progress is stopped in "Reading" state until "Stop" button pressed, then "No Camera" appears in control window.
    Then I press "Disconnect" then "Connect", connected successfully.
    Nevertheless, the camera still unresponsive - consecutive captures not started, progress behaves the same way.

All described is observed on physical machine, not VM.
    Also, I did system restore on my Thinkpad to install Maxim in a clean way, and successfully reproduced the bug described earlier.

No changes in desktop scheme - standard Aero. ActiveSkin "Office XP" in the file.

Finally,
    I tried to find and download genuine Olympus software. Unfortunately, I'm unable to do that, there is no public downloads.
    Also I sent request for Olympus Camera SDK, but have doubt about getting it. If only I could get, I would check the control sequences implemented in Maxim, to investigate why auto-focus still active.

13. Owen Lawrence

Owen Lawrence Retired Staff

Is there a switch or button on the lens? If so, set it to manual. The lens may be forcing an override on the camera's internal settings.

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Unfortunate news from Olympus... it appears they have thrown in the towel:

http://developer.olympus.com/cameras.html

Support has ended for Olympus Camera SDK
    Support and updates for Olympus Camera SDK ( all versions) is no longer available. Olympus Camera SDK no longer receive the following:
    • Assisted support
    • Support for Operating Systems later then Windows XP
    • Developer exchange forum
    • File download area for SDK Software, tools and samples
    Unfortunately, Olympus is no longer supporting SDK for previous models and is not being updated for current camera products. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause. Our decision to pull resources is based on many of the models that were supported being out of service life and incompatibility with newer operating systems.​

At this time, Olympus has not announced plans for future products with SDK supported. ​

The notes indicate that the SDK only supports up to Windows XP. Apparently Windows 7 is not a supported operating system.

Sorry about that. If Olympus won't support it, I'm afraid there isn't much we can do about it.

We will be moving Olympus to the Obsolete Driver Pack.