First Light: Cocoon Nebula

Discussion in 'My Astrophotos' started by Chris Anderson, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Chris Anderson

Chris Anderson Cyanogen Customer

Hello!

I am posting this image not for accolades or criticism. It's basically elementary and horribly processed. But it's my first real light with the new STT-8300! I'm surprised it worked out at all. No flat fielding. Rough polar alignment. No PEC. The image was taken with my Takahashi FSQ106EDX. It's four ten minute subs meticulously aligned in MaximDL (once I figured out how to do that!) and then merged in Photoshop. I had to do this the old fashioned way as layers. Got to be a better way. I have so much to learn! I know I need a lot more data time...

The image set was auto guided with the self guiding FW8 atop my venerable AP900GTO mount. Focus provided via MaximDL through the FLI Atlas.

A special thanks to everyone here who answered my questions, got me through hardware and software issues, and set me on the right path. I was getting pretty discouraged and my anxiety level was very high. I wondered if I'd ever really figure all these systems out. Coming from a Fastar 8 and Pixel 237 from years back, the learning curve has gotten a tad steeper! Hopefully, I can get better results in the months to come.

Thanks for looking!

CG

Attached Files:

2. artem

artem Guest

very nice images.. o_O:D:p

3. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Looks good for a first light regardless.