Resolved FW7-STX

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Dale Mais, Aug 26, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Dale Mais

Dale Mais Cyanogen Customer

I just got my STX-16803 camera back from DL repairs, it needed a new PCB and now it is working great. However it takes me back to a previous problem I was having with the filter wheel. I noticed that while checking out the reassembled system (16803-FW7-STX and STX autoguider) that the filter wheel was getting stuck in certain areas as it rotated. This would explain why I was having imaging issues earlier in the summer. I am using MaxIm DL for connections. When the filter wheel stops, I think the motor is still going but it's hard to see. The software says the filterwheel is still moving and that is where it stays indefinitely.

I plan to do the following: clean the edge of the filter wheel with ethanol and clean the interface of the motor where it impinges upon the filter wheel. My thinking is that with some handling the edge may have picked up some oils from my fingers which is causing slippage.

I am open to any other suggestions you may have.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Normally the FW7-STX is super reliable. It uses an optointerruptor device to detect the slots. It looks through little holes on the edge of the wheel. Make sure those holes aren't obstructed, and if it's dirty cleaning the sensor might be in order. Unbolt one side of it and pivot away from the wheel, clean, and pivot back. Whatever you do, don't try to remove the wheel itself without first moving the sensor.

3. Dale Mais

Dale Mais Cyanogen Customer

I actually solved the issue. I did clean the edge of the filter wheel and the place on the motor that touches the filter wheel. In addition I noticed that the shaft the filter wheel attaches to and rotates on seemed a bit stiff so I used an Allen wrench to loosen just a bit the shaft so that it rotated much more freely. After reassembly everything worked perfectly. My guess it was the relative stiffness of the shaft to rotate easily but the cleaning may have helped also.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay sounds like you're good to go.