FW8-8300 settings and possible Failure

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Lorenzo.Rota, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Lorenzo.Rota

Lorenzo.Rota Standard User

I all!
    I have an old ST8300M camera + FW8-8300
    When I try to connect the camera with the filter wheel in MaximDL it refuses the connection with the warning "Error opening filter wheel. Error (1001) initializing filter wheel".
    Settings of the FW in Maxim are:
    Sbig Universal, Model Standard, COM 1 (see attachments).
    When I connect the camera to the power supply the FW starts rotating and parks itself correctly in Filter 1 position.
    The camera without FW8 works regularly, it connects normally to pc and it downloads all the frames.
    I think these settings are the settings I've been using for a long time, however, as suggested by Bill Lynch, I'm posting here my settings in order to know if they are correct and confirm a possible hardware problem.
    Thanks

Lorenzo

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That is correct.

I'd suggest trying with CCDOPS, just as a cross-check.

Otherwise it rather looks like a filter wheel problem. Perhaps you hot-plugged it?

Bill likes this.
  3. Lorenzo.Rota

Lorenzo.Rota Standard User

Hi Doug!
    Thanks for your advice.
    I never hot plugged the FW.
    During this weekend I tried with CCDOPS.
    The Camera is connecting fine, but it doesn't matter which FW i choose, the software tries to select a clear filter and, after a couple of seconds shows me Filter:unknown. No movements from the filter wheel at all.
    I tried first with CFW-9 as suggested by the user guide, but as soon as I clicked on CFW-9 in the menu, it selected "none"...
    Then I tried with all the FW8s, but nothing seems to move.
    Then I tried the remaining settings.
    Attached you can find the situation in DriverChecker. I installed DriverChecker64 since my computer is a 64bit version of W7.

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I suspect it has to go in to Bill.

Lorenzo.Rota likes this.