FW8G-Aluma problem - filter does not switch

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Kalpesh Jasapara, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Kalpesh Jasapara

Kalpesh Jasapara Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

I reached out to OPT telescope and they suggested on discussion with you to request Technical support here.

I received the M48x0.75 adapter plate in good time, thank you. I have just been able to get the backfocus adjusted to my required 146.5mm for the Celestron EdgeHD. Thanks again for all the help.

With clear skies this week and I connected the Aluma camera with the FW8G-Aluma. I have installed the software and drivers as per instructions and they are updated to the current. I am able to connect the camera (DL-Imaging) and Filterwheel (DL Imaging + FW), and I am yet to configure the guide camera (although exposure works fine).

I observed that the Median/Average value (in the Information window) of the pixels (nor the focus) changes when I switch between various (LRGB Astrodon E-series) filters or empty slot. On careful examination inside (daytime) I observed that the filterwheel does not switch the filter slot, irrespective of the filter selection in the Expose tab.

The FITS Header although shows the selected filter, however that is not reflected in the filter wheel.

Can you please assist on how to debug this further?
    Any logs, diagnostics that could help?

with regards,
    -Kalpesh

Software: MaximDL Pro Suite
    FW8G Aluma SN: FW8190102
    AlumaM 8300 SN: AL8300M18070501

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks for contacting us.

There are a few things to check.
    First off, it's best to test this on the "workbench" so you can easily see what is going on.

When you power up the camera, does the filter wheel initialize?
    It may rotate the filter carousel to a home position.

Make sure you power off and disconnect the AC power and the USB cable for this next part.
    Since this is a self-guiding filter wheel, there should be a cable to the camera AUX port, and a cable to the Remote Guide Head port.
    Have you checked that there are no bent or broken pins on the filter wheel cable that goes to the round connector on the camera?
    Are they firmly seated? In other words, can you check the round cable is plugged all the way in?

What firmware version is in the camera? DL Config will tell you.
    Current FPGA firmware version is 20, which is newer than the manufacturing date of that camera.
    https://diffractionlimited.com/aluma-fpga-firmware/

Let me know what you find out.

3. Kalpesh Jasapara

Hello Colin,

How are you? Thank you for your reply.
    That's right I meant "workbench" by saying "inside".
    First of all, That is correct, I only had the drivers updated during installation the firmware version was 9 and I have now upgraded the FPGA firmware version to 20. (See attached DL Config). The new firmware did not help with the probem.

Confirmed that the round cable is plugged all the way.
    1. On power up there is some initialization that is occuring
    a. The shutter in the guider camera opens up.
    b. The shutter on the main camera opens and shuts.
    c. No movement in the filter wheel.
    (Just FYI -- Please note I was able to expose using guide camera yesterday night - so the guider camera is functional).

Also note on the bench I do not have the AUX port connected for this test.
    I carefully powered off and disconnected the USB cable before disconnecting the HDMI cable and also the I2C/FW/AO cable to inspect the pins. I observed the pin layout in Page 37 - 9 PIN Mini DPIN of the Aluma guide, on careful inspection I do notice that the Pin 7 (12V Out) is missing - is this by default expected? See attached.
    All other pins are intact and not-bent.

Do I need a replacement cable?

Thanks for your help,
    Regards,
    -Kalpesh

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That broken pin would explain everything. The filter wheel will not work without power.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you check to see if the broken pin is stuck in the camera socket? I'm hoping that is not the case, because they can be difficult to extract.
    Tweezers needed.
    Let me know, and then we'll figure out whether best way to resolve.

6. Kalpesh Jasapara

Hello Colin, Doug,

Thanks again for all your help.

Do not see any broken pin in the camera socket (checked both of them with a magnifying glass).
    I used some jumper cable from kids Arduino electronic kit, the wire is approximately same width as the pin and it can be inserted on all the sockets including Pin 7 easily, this confirms nothing inside.

I checked inside the fw8g box where the filter wheel is present, it looks like the cable is connected with a 5-pin connector and then two cable ties holding it in place.

I also got concerned and checked the power cable, which seems to have a black guide for alignment, possibly preventing twisted or broken pins like these.

with regards,
    -Kalpesh

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok good. We're going to send you a link to our RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) form.
    Since you're reasonably handy, I think we can send a replacement cable assembly and cable ties, and some instructions on how to swap.
    We need to inspect the problem cable to understand what happened, so it will have to be sent back to us.

8. Kalpesh Jasapara

Hello Colin,

Thanks that works, I should be able to easily swap the cable.
    Sure I can return the cable, will await the RMA form.

with regards,
    -Kalpesh

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

PM sent