FW8G-STXL 50mm Filter Installation

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by BillF, Jun 21, 2015.

1. BillF

BillF Cyanogen Customer

I just purchased the STXL-11002 with self guided FW package. The filter installation instructions do not provide any detail on how to install the filters. I am using 50mm Astronomik LRGB and narrowband filters. There are 16 shoulder washers and screws included and it appears these are to be used somehow to secure the filters in place, however when I try to secure them the filters rattle around quite a bit (in all 3 axes) and seem like they may be able to work out of the recesses. It is also not clear which orientation of the washers is correct (i.e. flat part touching the FW or raised). Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

2. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Bill,

We are working on an update to add the filter install portion. All the manuals need some work.

I know the carousels will accommodate the Baader's and Astrodon's with the hardware provided.
    The 50mm round Astronomik filters are 1mm thick. I need to check on Monday and see if we have a spacer for them.

I just pulled up the drawings for the Astronomik's below.
    Unmounted Filters
    I will do some checking on Monday and get back to you.

Best wishes
    Tim

3. BillF

BillF Cyanogen Customer

Thanks Tim. In the event a spacer is not available, could you recommend an O-ring size that might work? I was thinking 51mm OD, 2mm thick. Not sure what the precise dimensions of the filter-holder cells are or what extra space might be required for the shoulder washers to work properly.

Bill

4. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

5. Bruce Turner

Bruce Turner Cyanogen Customer

Tim, I have also purchased a SBIG STXL with FW8G and have noticed that the Baader filters I have installed with the hardware provided also remain loose and move around when shifting the filter wheel case. Does this also require o-rings to tighten up the filter retention? Regards, Bruce

6. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Bruce, You can use the O-rings supplied with the filter wheel on the Baaders.
    If you mix different thickness filters then it requires some custom TLC.

7. Bruce Turner

Tim, no O-rings were found in my order - I will check with the store. Bruce

8. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Just got my STXL16200 and FW8G filter wheel, and the manual (stxl_filterwheel_manual_022613.pdf) still doesn't describe how to install the filters or what to do with the 16 small O rings, plastic things, and screws. I have Astrodon LRGB Gen 2 and narrowband filters at 3mm thick.
    It's been 18 months since the original poster said the same thing. Is any help available?

9. Bruce Turner

For my STXL11002 and FW8G filter wheel, I used the following procedure:
    1. Decide on the filter sequence you want in the filter wheel (I use Clear, R,G,B,L,Ha, OIII, SII)
    2. Place the filters in the appropriate slots in the filter wheel (avoid finger prints on the filters - use a cotton pad)
    3. Place the o-rings on the screws and insert in the screw holes around the filter - tightened but do not over tightened - watch the deformation of the o-ring as a guide.
    4. If you can not tighten the o-ring you probably need to get a thicker o-ring to do the job.
    5. Not sure what the "plastic things" are for...

Never had an issue after installing the filters. Good Luck.

10. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Thanks Bruce. The "plastic things" are round, the diameter of the O rings, and a little thicker. One side is recessed and I think is where the screw head goes, with the O ring on the other side. I assume the plastic thing puts more even pressure on the O ring and makes the screw less likely to go through the O ring.

The Astrodon filters came with thin plastic (?) washers so it's not clear if they are used instead of or in addition to what came with the filter wheel. Any idea?

11. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

I contacted Astrodon about the red washers that came with their filters. Don said they can be used with 50 mm filters (like theirs) when a slightly wider clamp down is needed. The 50 mm filters are slightly smaller than the 2 inch ones, so there's a tiny gap between the filter and the holder. The O rings that came with the camera might not cover the end of the 50 mm filters.
    I used the red washers with some of the screws, depending on where the filter sat in the holder. Some filters were touching the left side so had a small gap on the right side; in this case, I used the red washer on the right side of the filter.
    I assume 2 inch filter fit snugly into the filter holders, so the O rings that came with the camera would be sufficiently wide.

It was a pain putting the screws, O rings, and washers in since it was difficult to get the screw into the hole. I wore cotton gloves in case I accidently touched a filter.
    I look forward to getting my STT-8300 and filter wheel since it has a single plate that goes over all the filter edges and looks significantly easier to do.

It would still be nice if the filter wheel manual was updated to mention what the O rings and plastic things are, and give tips on how to install the filters. I suspect many people that get the STXL filter wheel have the same issues Bruce and I did.

12. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Tim,
    are the "plastic things" with the recess (for the screws) supposed to be used instead of the O-rings, or with the O-rings?

13. Bruce Turner

I believe the correct answer is with the O-rings - worked for me.

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you have very thick filters, you would omit the O-rings. Otherwise if there's any slack in there then do install the O-rings.

15. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Doug, Bruce,
    I may not be using the correct terms. The filter wheel came with 16 O-shaped washers about 5 mm in diameter, 16 small black plastic/rubber things with recesses where the screws go (also about 5 mm in diameter), and 16 screws. I think it also came with 8 O-rings that are 50 mm which I didn't use since my filters are 3 mm thick.

So my question had to do with whether or not the small 5 mm O-shaped washers are to be used with the small black plastic/rubber things, or if only one or the other is to be used?

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You would have received 16 shoulder washers. They look like a T-shaped washer. You would also have received 16 tiny rubber O-rings (-010 size).

If your filters are thin (2 mm), you tuck the little O-rings under the shoulder washers, and they keep the filters from rattling around.

If your filters are thick (3 mm) then you can omit the little O-rings and install just the shoulder washers.