Resolved FW8S Not Supporting Filter Offsets

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by J Downing, Jul 15, 2021.

1. J Downing

J Downing Cyanogen Customer

Valley Center, California (San Diego County)
    Current Equipment/Software: Aluma CCD694, FW8S, SC-2 OAG, TCF-S Focuser, The SkyX Pro Imaging Edition latest build.

Prior to purchasing the new equipment (above) I was operating with an ST-8XE, CFW-8 filter wheel, the same TCF-S focuser, and TSX Pro. Filter offsets were entered into the filter wheel setup window. The TCF-S responded to filter changes accurately every time.

Unfortunately my wonderful ST-8XE failed and I decided to upgrade with new. Since installing the new equipment and entering offsets (Clear:0; V: XXX; B: XXX, ...) into the FW8S setup in the TSX filter wheel setup window the focuser does not respond to the offset upon filter change. However TSX and the TCF-S do respond to ‘Move to’ and @Focus3 commands. @Focus3 and the TCF-S are a perfect combination for automated focusing.

So, it would seem to me that I have a problem with the setup of the FW8S? But I’m not an expert!

Filter focus offsets are an essential factor in my photometric work and I would appreciate your assistance in correcting this problem.

Regards,

John
    DJCA

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That has nothing whatsoever to do with the filter wheel. It's a function of your TheSkyX software. You'll have to discuss it with Bisque support.

3. J Downing

Well, thanks for that Doug. I have also posted this problem in the SB forum. I thought perhaps after a $6,000+ purchase DL might be able to once again assist me with the setup of my new equipment. The SkyX worked with my previous filter wheel's offset corrections and does not with the FW8S. Doesn't this reflect an interface problem with the FW and Program? Doesn't this involve both vendors?

Colin provided me with an excellent three page step by step procedure ("SBIG ALUMA, Star Chaser, and STC cameras with TheSky") to setup my new equipment. This specifically directed me not to use TSX drivers but to use your(?)ASCOM drivers for the filter wheel. How is this situation different?

Deep breath: So, I just went back to the procedure for setting up DL products and The SkyX Colin provided. I saw he commented: "You may also need to tell TheSky what filters you have.....if they don't automatically come across".
    A previous check showed that the filter designations HAD come across. BUT now I see the offsets which were entered later into the driver (Setup/Properties) did not. Entering the offsets into TSX corrected the problem.

So Doug, you refusal to assist me with this setup problem pointed me back to helpful DL information. Colin: You might want to add to the above sentence something regarding checking to see if offsets 'come across'. A minor detail, perhaps few use offsets, but this one caught me!

All in all I have been provided with excellent pre and post purchase support from DL and look forward to a continuing positive relationship.

John

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hey John, we're not experts on TheSky, so Doug's intention was for you to try the authors of the program for help; not to make you go away angry.
    I'm glad you figured this out.

5. J Downing

Colin: Actually your procedure on setting up your equipment with TSX was a significant time saver, DL has expertise with TSX where it counts. Following it I was up and running in no time at all. Doug's error was referring me to SB when the information was available in your forum (and which I had on my desk, duh!).

In closing I wrote: "All in all I have been provided with excellent pre and post purchase support from DL and look forward to a continuing positive relationship".

My view is that nothing and no one is perfect, especially me, and mistakes happen. The big picture is as I have stated: 'excellent support'.

I'm certainly not going away, and I'm not angry. DL provided me a while back with support for an SBIG camera that I purchased two decades ago! My mentor's evaluation of my data (photometric) this morning was 'first class work, good focus and guiding'. This is only two weeks since my new camera, fw, and oag arrived? I'm a very happy customer overall.

Cheers,
    John

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I was simply trying to direct you to the experts who can best answer your question. That is not us. It wasn't my intention to put you off; rather, I was trying to direct you to the appropriate experts on TheSkyX software.

This function does not involve the vendors of either the filter wheel or the focuser, even though both devices are needed to implement it. Neither component is aware of the other's existence; they simply go to the position they are commanded to. If our filter wheel gives you slot 5 when asked to, its job is done. Something else has to tell your ACME brand focuser to also move to some position or other, and that's the job of the control software.

Our ability to support third-party software is very limited, with our knowledge coming entirely from either reading the user manual or tinkering with the software. Colin developed some content to help people get started, but we're really not the experts on it.

Bill likes this.