FWG8 small rant, intermittent pain

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Kauai Star Sailor, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Kauai Star Sailor

Kauai Star Sailor Cyanogen Customer

Tom here in Kauai HI. Last weekend I had just finished a lot of adjusting of my AP1200 and associated app integration when I decided to clean up the focus on the guide camera. The short of it is I couldn’t get it to move so I finished my APCC APPM (mount model) removed the camera and went home (0200). Being a curious critter I went right at it after 3 cups of coffee and breakfast that morning.

I opened the filter assemble and was amazed at what I considered a Kluge for the adjusting mechanisms. Being rather new to the hobby (4years) I didn’t know what sort of drag I would experience making focus adjustment and just what the lock was. Well now I know. I had managed to move both nylock nuts up the threads far enough so there was about a quarter inch play (slop) on both adjusters. I reset both so that there was no binding and adjustments worked on prism and focuser.

As you are aware this is not a cheap piece of equipment and that the approach, while novel, didn’t IMHO meet Sbig quality standards for dummies like me . The question is have they done anything to change this from the Model-T format to a Lexus? If they haven’t, they haven’t. Am I the only guy who has encountered this phenomenon or are you just lucky to have a gorilla user like me?

I had penned this before I satisfactorily repaired this item. Easy nylock adjustments. It appears my initial problem was the new drivers that were issued recently SEE STT8300 post on the forum.

when this equipment is working it is the greatest. But just like a brother or sister-in-law it has its issues

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I assume you are talking about the FW8G-STT? Shortly after we took over SBIG, I noticed that the nylon lock nuts on the filter wheels in stock had not been installed correctly by the contract manufacturer. This results in excessive backlash.

The lock nuts did not unwind themselves during operation - even if you hit the end stops - they were simply not installed properly in the first place. Once I recognized they were not installed correctly, we readjusted all the remaining stock on hand. Production of new filter wheels is now done in-house so this will not be an issue moving forwards.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the design; sometimes simpler is better. The only reason you had a problem is your unit was not assembled correctly. For that we apologize.