Garbled Image Download

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Manoj Koushik, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Manoj Koushik

Manoj Koushik Standard User

Hello there, I have an FLI ML50100 and every so often when Maxim downloads the image, the image is garbled with the lower portions of the image being copied into the upper portions.

I used to have Maxim DL 6.18 and this used to happen very very frequently. I upgraded to 6.20 and it still happens but less frequently. Can you please help me understand why this is happening and resolve this? (it looks like some issue with memory?)

I have a PNG from yesterday night demonstrating this problem (this is an unprocessed sub just as it was downloaded from the camera. Only applied a STF in pixinsight to show the problem and saved it as a screenshot so it's small enough to post here...)

Thanks!
    Manoj

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We don't know why that would happen, but it's not MaxIm DL that is doing that. It's coming from the camera like that.

3. Manoj Koushik

hmmm...you may be right. Thank you Doug.

The only thing that gives me pause is that this used to happen all the time with 6.18 (1 out of every 3 or 4 frames!).

So I purchased a one time upgrade to 6.20 (nothing else changed. Camera same, driver same, machine same) and this is now happening very rarely. So there does seem to be some interplay that involves Maxim as well that is causing this.

Is there anything I can do to gather more information from Maxim that will shed more light on what might be happening.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I've seen situations with other equipment where the exact timing that you issue the commands affect whether you see the problem or not. (Actually not that unusual!)

This means running on different machines (i.e. faster or slower), running different software, or different software versions can cause the problem to appear or not.

Just a guess; I don't know anything about the ML innards.

5. Manoj Koushik

Interesting. It makes sense that given the unreliable nature of this, it would be something like timing related.

Is there any way to isolate and/or make sure that this does not happen?

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

7. Manoj Koushik

Yes, I have both those threading options turned on.

Anything else I can tell FLI beyond that screenshot and "timing related issue"?

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'd give them a FITS file rather than a screen shot.

Really the image says it all.