Get Error When Calibrating Images

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by Joe Geiger, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Joe Geiger

Joe Geiger Standard User

I have set the images I need for Darks, Bias, and Flats in the Set Calibration window but when I calibrate and image from the Process menu it says "No applicable calibration groups were found for this image. Please run Set Calibrate"

I don't understand why I'm getting this message when I have already added them to Set Calibration. Why an I getting this message?

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Something doesn't match. Make sure your calibration frames aren't accidentally subframes. They will not work.

If you like please upload one cal frame and a light frame and I'll see what is the problem.

3. Joe Geiger

Joe Geiger Standard User

Hi Doug, I uploaded the master dark I made in Set Calibrate as well as one of the lights I captured RAW using a Nikon D750. In MaxIm I converted it from .NEF to .fits file to upload it. It gives me the same message with the .fits file. I've also tried using a single original dark frame instead of the master dark with no luck. Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Where did you upload it? It's not on our ftp server.

5. Joe Geiger

Joe Geiger Standard User

Oh...I think I see the problem...my files are 139MB a piece and your website only allows 19mb. That is how big the file is after I convert it to .fit. The original .NEF file is 30MB. I can't seem to save the file in a format that is under 19MB.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Can you put in a dropbox or some other site?

7. Joe Geiger

Joe Geiger Standard User

8. Tim

Tim Staff Member

It looks like you didn't use MaxIm DL to capture these images. Therefore there is almost no information in the image headers. MaxIm DL needs the missing information to identify and sort the images. You will need to either use MaxIm DL to capture the images, and the information will be added automatically, or add the required information manually, such as Image Type, CCD Temperature ect using the FITS Header window.

9. Joe Geiger

Joe Geiger Standard User

Ok.. so I hooked up my D750 camera via USB to the program and took a dark frame to see what header info it assigns. I was able to copy the header data from the View Tab but I can't seem to paste it. Is there a way to copy and paste all the header info without having to add each one individually from the FITS Header Window?

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Use the Batch Processing command. Record while editing one FITS header. Then play back on all the images you want to edit.

11. Joe Geiger

Joe Geiger Standard User

I used Batch Process to add the FITS header info from the frame I took to all the frames being careful to not replace any header data from the original files. Then I ran Set Calibration again. This time it recognized the Bias frames but created a separate group for each dark frame. So I manually created the groups with the new Fits files. I also added the header info to the Light frames and then opened one to calibrate it. I got the same message. :(

So... I've got 10 days left with the evaluation and I'm going to wait for a good night to use MaxIm DL to control everything and see how it works. Since I don't have a dedicated observatory I am not keen on bringing a laptop out with me to observe and image and would prefer to capture the images to the camera and then process them once I get inside. I'm thinking that this program may not be for me right now. While I can appreciate the end-to-end solution MaxIM DL provides, I need more of a dedicated astro-imaging platform that will work directly with my DSLR files. MaxIm DL doesn't seem to work well in such a use case because there are just too many extra steps to get the images from my camera in a state that MaxIm DL can process. Thanks for your advice and help.

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Tip: In the Set Calibration command you can also manually build the calibration groups.

Of course it's much easier if you do the imaging in MaxIm DL and have it save the data in FITS format. Then your frames have the correct keywords from the get-go.