Ghosting on Aluma AC4040

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Greg Nelson, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Greg Nelson

Greg Nelson Cyanogen Customer

I have been seeing ghosting on my sensor. After images with bright stars (in the last case narrowband with 300s light frames), I can see ghosts in subsequent darks for the next 15 minutes (3- 300s dark frames). Also, when I do a focus/pointing frame with the Lum filter, I can actual see the ghosts from the slew to recenter the telescope position.

I want to experiment with RBI Preflash to see if I can minimize this. When I access the Config Setting from within Maxim DL, I can see the RBI boxes but they are dimmed out. So it appears I can't change these setting from within Maxim.

When I open the DL Config Utility in Windows, I can see the Camera and the RBI Preflash Settings and Flushes settings. I can even enter new values but there is not a button to write these to the camera. I am clearly missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Greg

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'm afraid the Aluma AC4040 does not have a preflash feature.

3. Greg Nelson

Greg Nelson Cyanogen Customer

Well, that explains why I can’t get the software to change settings.

OK, I processed an image with a good deal of ghosting yesterday. Stacking rejected all the ghosts. I do need to use a good deal of dither movement, but it looks manageable.

Quick question. Do you have any curves on the AC4040 CMOS Chip. I can see some curves on the chip manufacturer’s site, but they are not stated in the units that the AC4040 uses for gain. I would like to see some noise, dynamic range options as a function of the gain settings I can set in the Maxim Driver settings.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The sensor documentation is confidential, unfortunately. That said, in DL Config / Settings there is an Adjustable Gain option where you can adjust both the High Gain and Low Gain settings. The units are arbitrary but proportional.

Also of interest - when you take an image the current EGAIN will be included in the FITS header.