Guider Sensitivity ?

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Galaxyhunter, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Galaxyhunter

Galaxyhunter Cyanogen Customer

How is the SC2 chip sensitivity compared to the guide chip from the ST series cameras? On the ST cameras I have ( ST10xx and ST2000xx ), I loved the fact that if I binned 3x3, I could set the AO8 to 10 Hz and guide off a 12th mag star. If I went to 5 Hz, I could use a 14th mag star. I'm kind of hoping for the same thing.

Thanks, Carl.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It's similar but different. The sensor is located in front of the filters, unlike the old cameras. So that will give you an advantage. The pixels are smaller, and there are more of them, so again, it's going to be different.

3. Galaxyhunter

I never used filters before. So what I was wondering is an even - Apples to Apples comparison.

You say it's going to be different. In what way?

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The SC guiders have a 1280 x 1024 array of 4.5um pixels, area of the chip is about 6.2mm x 4.6mm.
    The original guide chips from those good old cameras were 192 x 165 with 13.75 x 16.5 um rectangular pixels in a tiny 2.64 x 2.64mm square.
    The later upgraded guider chips in those old cameras were 640 x 480, 7.4um square pixels, in a 4.7 x 3.5 mm array.

Differences are that the SC-2 sensor has:
    - larger surface area making it easier to find a guide star
    - each pixel is smaller thus higher resolution for more precise guiding.
    - it is more sensitive across a broader part of the spectrum

5. Galaxyhunter

Thank you Colin, that's good news.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

FYI to increase the flexibility of the system, we are adding a software binning capability to the driver. The sensor natively does 1x1 and 2x2 binning. We're going to extend that with software binning to 3x3 and 4x4.

7. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    This sounds like a great addition to the product line!! And being in front of the filters is excellent.

Colin Haig likes this.
  8. mike shade

mike shade Cyanogen Customer

Doug, any idea when the driver might be available? As on another thread, have had issues with the guiding, as you are aware. Have done everything on my end (rebalanced, remeshed the gears, new PEC curve, addressed possible cable drag issues). It has helped a little bit-maybe, maybe not but I still don't have a reliable workable system in regards to guiding. As I mentioned I am guiding at .645"/pixel, seeing is killing it.

Thanks

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Progress is good. It's in the review stage. Next step would be beta testing.