Guiding with an SBIG 10XME

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Paul Murphy, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Paul Murphy

Paul Murphy Standard User

Hi all
    Just a quick question - I am trying to guide using my SBIG dual chip CCD camera to guide my LX200GPS scope using TheSkyX and was wondering do I need to connect a 2nd cable to the scope autoguide port from the camera (there is a dedicated port on the camera for this). Or do I not need to do this and let the software and camera do their thing via the existing RS232 interface. Reason for asking that doing it via the rs232 port is doing some weird things!
    Tx

Paul

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That’s really a question for the Bisque boys.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I'm another customer. Suggest you post this over on the Bisque forum.
    I've done this with TSX and a bigger SBIG camera. Relay Interface worked okay, with a correctly wired cable from the guide port on the camera to the autoguider socket. Beware the wiring - you may have to check the directions are correct/cable flipped.
    You can also do it by sending the guide commands through ASCOM, however I found the guide port best for me.
    I didn't use the native TSX LX200GPS mount driver. Others may have.
    Also, I used Andy Johansen/Dick Seymour's patched firmware 19GG in my 12" LX200GPS Autostar II as it fixes many bugs in the mount (but not all).
    Dec backlash was still pretty bad, and mount overall performance improved with Buck's Gears from Peterson Engineering.