Helix Nebula

Discussion in 'My Astrophotos' started by ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR, Oct 1, 2018.

1. ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR

ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR Cyanogen Customer

Helix NGC7293 done last nite ..Saturday.. using two Lumicon Minus-Violet filters , one was a 2in. and the other was a 72mm filter attached
    to a TeleVue .8XReducer/Flattener thru a 152mm A+M Refractor . I was trying to see if the Minus-Violet filters would suppress the 373nm
    Sky Glow . The first image was 555secISO1600 and it was a yellow-white over-bright .. so I then did a 195secISO1600 and that was easier
    to see the Helix and I did seventeen of them . In Canon Digital Photo Professional V4 I got them all to show the Helix and then I made them
    16BIT TIFFs and put them into "ImagesPLus" and 'stacked' all eighteen images with SigmaClipAverage tdDev 2.45 .
    It took awhile to get the haze that was trying to get into the reddish eyebrow part out of the image .. and here is the result . I don't know
    which images show the reddish area outside of the main Helix but all together they seem to show it a little bit . The Moon was rising
    for the second half of the exposures and light was entering the images .x
    I did a Two Star Align with Enif and Marfak and both have small stars in the image to 'Live View' focus on like I did with Enif and then to the Helix .x
    I have a Baader 7nm Hydrogen Alpha filter and it was oily and wouldn't cleanup until I used a Zeiss Lens Cleaner packet from Walmart and
    clean cottonballs to clean off the moisture and the oily smear stain was removed ... otherwise I couldn't get it clean .x