I:TI1, CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1: SBIG driver: Transmission timeout. Error = 30007

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Wannaberocker, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Wannaberocker

Wannaberocker Cyanogen Customer

Hello. I have been having great success with CCDAP5 on both of my telescope rigs. I do have a couple issues that creep up from time to time although it has been a few months since I seen this happen.

Two error codes from TSX and it looks like:

AF3a TheSkyX.ccdsoftCamera: Error code = 5 (5). No additional information is available.

and

I:TI1, CCDSoft2XAdaptor.CCDSoft5Camera.1: SBIG driver: Transmission timeout. Error = 30007

I seen this when checking the log when I woke up for work this morning. It looks like all my periodic SII focus runs were unsuccessful. Usually all other filters are successful. I will be setting this up to use the offsets in the near future but for now I just do periodic refocus after every 30 minute exposure is done.

At the middle of the session the SBIG STT8300 camera appears to have had a USB transmission timeout and then the session parked the scope and shut down early.

Where do I need to begin troubleshooting? It seems to be a USB issue so I could try bypassing the VersaPlate (like I did with my high speed guiding AO rig, which I have not had this issue with after making this change) and try again.

This random USB issue seems to be the bane of my setups, and its totally random. Is there a way to use the Ethernet connection and if so does this eliminate the USB connection? Tim over at SBIG says the USB is faster and not to use the ethernet connection.

I am guessing it is a TSX/SBIG driver issue but I figured I'd start here to gain some direction. On my end I will bypass the VersaPlate on my MyT mount and make sure all SBIG drivers are up to date. I'll watch and see if anything happens but it is so rare that it might be a while before I can report back about this.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Error 7 indicates transmission timeout, which is often a USB hardware issue. Recommended steps:

1. Update your drivers
    2. Check power management on your computer; make sure it doesn't shut down the USB ports after a long period of "inactivity" (i.e. you're not using the keyboard/mouse)
    3. Avoid using a hub between the camera and the computer
    4. Don't use a port on the front panel of a desktop computer, because they are compromised by the internal wiring
    5. Try using a different root hub on the PC (plugs come in pairs - use a different pair)
    6. Make sure you haven't exceeded the maximum USB cable length by using an extension cable
    7. Avoid using built-in through-the-mount wiring for camera USB and power; run your own cables
    And yes you may have different results with the Ethernet connection. You'll have to check TSX documentation on how to set that up.