I would like to return my SG-2/Aluma filter wheel to the factory for troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by John G., May 25, 2024.

1. John G.

John G. Standard User

Last May, I purchased a new Aluma CCD 694 with a filterwheel and SG-2 autoguider. The camera was late and so was the filterwheel and autoguider. I did not get the autoguider/SG-2 until October. And, when I did receive them, I never could get them to function properly. I have posted questions and tried many many times to resolve the issue, but I am at the point, where I think I'm going crazy. So, in order to move forward on an important project, I think it time for the experts to take a look.
    The problem is, the autoguider never sees any stars, only lots of hot pixels. I have tried exposures up to 60 seconds long and parking the scope in the middle of a dense starfield looking for guide stars. I even tried using the Moon. I've wasted enough time and I would like to have your technical support staff take a look.
    I have gone through the entire focusing range at multiple exposure times, still--nothing. I will attach a few images I took earlier this evening that shows nothing but hot pixels and perhaps you can tell me if this is normal and maybe what I can do to have the system looked at. I love the Aluma. I don't love the SG-2.

Attached Files:

2. mike m benjamin

mike m benjamin Cyanogen Customer

Mine works great, Aluma 47-10/FW8/SC2 on my Meade 12". What is your Telescope, image train? You can focus the main camera no problem? This must be done first before focusing the SC2. Your mirror is slid more towards the imaging chip?

3. John G.

John G. Standard User

Hello Mike:
    I am using a Celestron CM1100 at f/6.3 and a Moonlight Zero Image Shift focuser. I have no problem focusing the camera. It operates fine. It is the SC-2. No matter how I position the pick-up mirror, I see no stars. I move the scope to a rich, dense starfield so I know there are plenty of stars. I tried a wide range of exposures--no stars. I let the scope drift through dense regions of the milky way knowing that there are stars everywhere, still no stars just lots of hot pixels. It did take me a while to get the SC-2 talking to TheskyX-Pro camera add-on, but everyone is playing nicely--no problem connecting at all. Just no guide stars are visible.

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Have you verified the shutter is working?

Could you post a few more samples of varying exposure times including a dark frame?

Does it respond to light at all or are all the frames the same approximate ADU levels?

5. John G.

John G. Standard User

Hello Tim:
    I move the pick-off prism into the full in position to try to see the shadow on an image from the main camera. I am attaching several test images. Thank you for any suggestions you may have.[​IMG]

6. Tim

Tim Staff Member

There were no images attached. Could you please try sending them again?

7. John G.

John G. Standard User

Images...

Attached Files:

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

What kind of telescope are you using?

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

@Doug - I think it's a Celestron 11 inch.

John - it looks like a slightly outdated version of TheSky X. 10.5.0 daily build 13811 is a lot more current.

You might need updated ASCOM and DL Imaging drivers from us.

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I think you also have some kind of misconfiguration going on in TheSky.

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You can see sky so it's getting light. I believe in another thread I recommended trying the moon. Try that again, and if you do get light, move the telescope until you find the limb of the moon, and focus on that. Should be blindingly obvious.

Oh, and before you try focusing the StarChaser, make sure the main camera is in focus.

You might not be seeing stars simply because they're way out of focus, and nothing bright is on the sensor.

12. John G.

John G. Standard User

I am using a Celestron CM-1100 working at f/6.3. This gives me a FL of 1764mm. I am using a Moonlight motorized focuser and then my Aluma CCD694 with FW8 and my SC2.

13. John G.

John G. Standard User

It may be Colin. But, my pointing is very good, my tracking is fair and theSkyX talks to everything very well. I have no connection issues at all. Once I start messing around with software versions and drivers when the devices are communicating properly, I feel I'm just asking for trouble. I will do that if I must. Also, just to be clear I always have the main camera focused before I try to use the autoguider. I appreciate all the help though, everyone!

14. John G.

John G. Standard User

Since my observatory is located in a wooded area and the Moon isn't visible too frequently, could I instead try to image on a terrestrial target, like some tree branches? They are big and easy to see and have a distinct shape. I don't think the SC2 is seeing anything and it is fully extended into the light path from the scope.

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

John,

Some tips:
    The SC-2 is a 10-bit camera, so a maximum value (full saturated white) is 1023.
    It has a 1280 x 1024 pixel array.
    So we should be seeing images that size, unless you subframe or bin.

If you're shooting bright blue sky, the moon or whatever, you need SHORT exposures. Like 0.01 seconds. 1/100th of a second.
    Stars will need at most a few seconds. Like 1 to 10 seconds.

Good news:
    All the "brightbluesky" images are overexposed. The camera is getting plenty of light. So the shutter is opening properly. Good.
    All the "DarkFrame" images look like the shutter is closed properly. Good.

Wrong camera:
    5sec-brightbluesky.fit - this is not taken with the SC-2. It was taken with probably with the 694, and is fully saturated (65535, with it's 16-bit converter). I don't know why "ISO 1600" is in the readout mode.

Wrong size, right camera:

5secDarkFrame-SC2-5sec.fit - I am confused why this image has the size and position that it does. eg it looks like a 320x240 subframe taken at 480x360. Did you intentionally take a region of interest, instead of the 1280x1024 array?
    10secDarkFrame-SC2-10sec.fit - same thing on size and position.
    15secDarkFrame-SC2-15sec.fit - same thing on size and position.
    20secDarkFrame-SC2-20sec.fit - ditto

Possibly a star:

Rastaban image looks like it might have a couple stars in it that are not focused, but I can't be sure.

Odd readout mode:
    I notice the "READOUTM" or Readout mode is set to "Faster Download" or "ISO1600". I don' know where that is coming from. I suspect a TheSky X bug. or a combination of our driver update and ASCOM driver update I mentioned and TheSkyX.

16. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

BTW Jupiter, Venus, Saturn are other good targets.

17. John G.

John G. Standard User

Here are a few additional images I took this afternoon with the scope pointing at the tree line. The first 3 are from the SC2, the next 2 are from the 694. All are short exposures as you'll see.

Attached Files:

18. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

John,
    1. Do yourself a favour. Change the settings in TheSky X to give you a full 1280 x 1024 image instead of this subframe that you have.
    Then it will show you the whole guide sensor image.
    Like this:

Theskyx_subframe.png

2. It looks like it is seeing the trees. YAY!

3. It is out of focus. You will need to adjust the focus until it is clearer. It won't be sharp, but it will be better than this.
    Note that the focus knob is a bit counter-intuitive.
    Turning it to the right will move the guide sensor away from the pick-off mirror. This may be opposite to what you expect.

19. John G.

John G. Standard User

Thank you, Colin:

I will try this. Do you know how may turns covers the complete range of adjustment for the SC2?

20. John G.

John G. Standard User

I think I made some progress today. Same trees. I'll post two images; one from the SC2, one from the 694.

Attached Files: