Image aquisition from multiple cameras at one time

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Tom McDonagh, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Tom McDonagh

Tom McDonagh Standard User

Greetings.

I would like to know if a single instance of MaximDL can acquire images from imaging cameras at the same time. If not, can one run multiple instances of MaximDL at the same time to accomplish my goal? Presumable, one imaging system will have a built in guider.

Thanks,

Tom

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We have a new add-on component for MaxIm DL in development right now, to support synchronized imaging with multiple cameras. It's a client/server arrangement.

The main "server" instance of MaxIm DL runs normally, and can be controlled via scripting software such as ACP. Whenever it starts an exposure it informs the "client" instances that it's starting up, and how long the exposure is going to be.

The "client" instance(s) each independently run their own autosave sequences. All client instances start their exposures when the server does. If their exposures are shorter they can also take more than one exposure while the server is exposing. When time is up the server makes sure all the clients are finished, dithers (or slews or whatever) and then the whole process starts up again.

The clients can be on the same computer or on different computer(s).

This will be an extra-cost option. More information to follow.

3. Ross Salinger

Ross Salinger Cyanogen Customer

I figure then you will remove the current practice of suspending guiding while downloading --- is that correct?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The clients can download at any time with no impact on autoguiding.

As for the server, it depends. If the same camera is configured for imaging and guiding then it cannot download simultaneously. But we are looking into relaxing that restriction when two separate cameras are used. This is of course one reason we've moved to the new SBIG StarChaser guide camera design.