Resolved Image artifact after camera was knocked against mount

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Anthony Bailey, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Anthony Bailey

Anthony Bailey Standard User

Hi all,

I was putting my scope with my camera attached on the mount last night & I managed to knock the camera against the tripod leg. It wasn't a brutal blow but a sharp knock nonetheless. After connecting the camera I ran Nebulosity IV in frame & focus mode and noticed a bright glow in one corner of the frame which quickly spread to about half the frame as shown in the attached images. I took a 30 second exposure without cooling at the ambient temp. of 15 degrees Celsius as attached. Camera is an ST8300 C. Any ideas on what I might have done?
    Thanks in advance,
    Tony

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That looks optical in nature. Check for correct shutter operation, light leaks (e.g. a gap somewhere letting light in, etc.). Check adapters and the telescope ahead of the camera.

What do your dark frames look like?

3. Anthony Bailey

Hi Doug,

thanks for the quick response. I'm somewhat relieved by your reply. I shut the camera down as soon as I noticed it so I don't have any darks from last night.
    I opened the housing to have a look at the sensor & check for any other obvious damage. Everything looks perfectly normal. I also replaced the desiccant while I was at it, which was due but not
    causing any problems. I could put the camera on a scope & shoot some darks except I've had the chamber window off briefly to change the dessicant. Do you think this would be a problem?
    or best not to & wait 24hrs.
    Cheers,
    Tony

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

What model camera? It has that look that is sometimes seen with shutter problems. As long as you don't cool the camera, you can take some test images...

-Bill

5. Anthony Bailey

It's an ST8300C Bill & thanks for your input, I'll set it up & take some darks without the cooling.
    Cheers,
    Tony

6. Anthony Bailey

View attachment 7239 View attachment 7240

Here are a couple of test images. 1 x 60 second dark & 1 x 1/10th sec light frame shot in a darkish room.
    I took a series of ten lights & they all looked very similar so the shutter seems to be working as it should.
    I guess the issue must have been light leaking into the image train as Doug suggested. Would you guys agree
    based on the test images?
    Cheers.
    Tony

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
  7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please upload FITS images. Can't tell anything from JPEG.

8. Anthony Bailey

Sorry Doug, fits are attached. The dark frame was binned & resized to reduce the file size to make the upload possible. Also, what would be the minimum amount of time to wait before cooling can be used after changing the desiccant?
    Thanks again,
    Tony

Attached Files:

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Your images look like normal dark frames.

It would be a good idea to detach the camera from the telescope, and observe the operation of the shutter while taking an exposure.

Instructions for desiccant recharge, including waiting time, are on page 48 of the STF user manual: https://diffractionlimited.com/downloads/STFUserManual.pdf

10. Anthony Bailey

Thank you Doug, I'll let you know how it all goes.

11. Bill

Tony,

If you continue to have problems, email, bill@sbig.com, or call, 805 308-6979, me and maybe we can arrange the camera to come in for an inspection.

-Bill

12. Anthony Bailey

Problem solved. Doug was right on the money, the cause was light leaking through a spacer thread. I did a visual inspection of the shutter as well to rule it out
    & everything is functioning normally. So it's business as usual. Many thanks Doug & Bill, your customer support is second to none.
    Stay safe & virus free.

Best,
    Tony

13. Bill

That's great news Tony. Doug is right on the money quite a bit.

-Bill