Image artifacts?

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by mike shade, Mar 7, 2021.

1. mike shade

mike shade Cyanogen Customer

Attached is a five minute unguided image of M81 through the CDK17/Aluma AC4040. I had it set to simple auto dark, camera cooled to -20 and used Stackpro. There are a number of horizontal lines and not sure what these might be. I also noticed that in the darks I shot, there are a number of vertical lines that look very much like dead pixels but there seems to be a lot of them. As this is a new camera wanted to make sure there wasn't something I had not set right. Everything in regards to gain and the like has not been changed.

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

These sensors are certainly "different" from the old CCD sensors. It takes a bit more work to get a clean result.

Can you post a FITS frame?

3. mike shade

It is a big file...and I 1/2 sized it but here. As I mentioned, none of the gain settings have been modified (purposely) on my part, have not monkeyed with them, don't know if this would make a difference or not.

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'd like to see a non-calibrated frame with no processing, please.

5. mike shade

Would that be a luminance frame? How long, 300" and which capture method? Of course this will be a big file. I do have darks and bias frames, raw out of the camera.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Ideally a light and a dark. Probably have to use dropbox or similar.

When using StackPro with the AC4040 I recommend setting the minimum subexposure duration to 30 seconds. I find you don't get the best results if you set it very low.

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Stop press... I was just told we have discovered a firmware bug in the Aluma AC4040 that impacts StackPro, which can cause banding.

Stand by for a firmware update.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  8. mike shade

Oh, that's good. Detailed instructions on how to upgrade the firmware would be helpful when it is available. Thanks,

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Page 39 of the user manual.

10. Frank R. Santore

Frank R. Santore Cyanogen Customer

I'm wondering if the firmware update took care of the OP's specific problem?

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I expect so - the firmware bug would definitely cause the issue he was seeing.