Image Issue Aluma AC4040

Discussion in 'Aluma AC Series CMOS' started by Ira Bell, Mar 13, 2022.

1. Ira Bell

Ira Bell Cyanogen Customer

Hi all,

So the after my replacement camera was shipped back and reinstalled, I had a few evenings of testing with it and things were appearing to be OK. This evening, I logged in to begin setting up for a target, and when I did a quick exposure of the moon I noticed something different than normal. As you can see in this image, the camera is somehow chunking up the pieces of the image and mixing them up. Any idea why this is happening?

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Can you send over that FITS image?

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Also, was this a one-time occurrence, is it reproducible (can you repeat it)?

4. Ira Bell

I will take an image tonight and save the FITS file to send. It happened for about an hour as I was trying to troubleshoot it (probably 10 or so images). Previous evenings I took photos of the moon with the same settings and had no issues. MaxIm DL was freezing up quite a bit as testing went on, so I reset it to the default configuration settings, rebooted several times, etc. and eventually the camera wouldn't register in Device Manager (something about failing to set the address). When Sam came in this morning he gave me a call and power cycled the camera. It is showing up in device manager again, so I'll update this thread this evening weather permitting.

Of note the only two things that were different when I logged in last night to the issues were as follows: (1) there was a time change / daylight savings / etc., not sure if that impacted the camera's timing at all? (2) I began using the guiding functionality for the first time on the previous evening and began to do the same on this evening (i.e. camera two, expose, calibrate, then track). While I had exposed with the guiding camera before just to test operation, I have been trying to track with the L-600 only at first so I could take measurements on its accuracy for a baseline of improving it with the guiding system.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, do a run tonight, if you get any "scrambled" images, save them, and send to me via DropBox or WeTransfer.
    Also, get the MaxIm logs.
    In MaxIm:
    View... Log Window
    Right Click - Enable the Timestamps option.
    Right Click again - Open Log Folder - and it will show you where the logs are.
    Then use [Upload a File] to the lower right here to upload the logs.

We'll take it from there.

6. Ira Bell

I've attached a rar file containing two fits images from last night before the camera lost connectivity in device manager. These were taken via auto run, after the 10 or so moon issue images. I wanted to try to see if longer exposures, filters, etc, would have any difference. They came in quite distorted but I couldn't tell whether that was the same or related to the appearance of the moon. The object was meant to be the Black Eye Galaxy which I've shot previously (though briefly) with this same camera and it was in focus at that time.

Attached Files:

7. Ira Bell

Here are all the logs from that folder. Correction to above (used Windows Zip instead of RAR... had RAR on my brain due to some automation scripts I've been creating for image processing).

Attached Files:

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Thanks. The images are completely saturated. Meaning 200 seconds was far too long an exposure through the luminance and red filters.

Pro Tip:
    In the log it pointed out:
    11:05:18$5 Warning - Error getting guider imageError -
    Error computing arc seconds per pixel
    Focal length invalid or inaccessible

In MaxIm, File... Settings... Site and Optics tab.
    Put in the Latitude, Longitude, Elevation of your site.
    Put in the optical parameters of your telescope and guider (The SC-3 uses the same optical info as the main telescope).
    Otherwise some of the calculations cannot be performed, and this will lead to problems guiding and plate solving.

Tonight, before you start imaging, be sure to quit out of MaxIm, and then start fresh.
    That way I will get a clean log tonight.

9. Ira Bell

Ok, thanks Colin. Will update with those settings and follow up afterward.

10. Ira Bell

Just a quick update, after power cycling the camera tests performed yesterday seemed to indicate that things were back to normal. Weather permitting I plan to test again this evening and report back here tomorrow.

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, let us know how it goes. We're always working on improving out products, so if we find anything on our end, we'll let you know.

12. Ira Bell

Colin - I was able to take several photos last night that did not have the rearranging slice issue. Unclear what caused it, but if it happens again I'll open a new thread or try to amend this one.

13. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, if you run into it again, let us know. We'll let you know when we release any new software or firmware.
    I'd really like the FITS images if it happens again. We can learn from the data.