Issue with connecting three different SBIG cameras to either CCDOPS or through SGP

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by JamiB, May 13, 2019.

1. JamiB

JamiB Standard User

Hi, I can not connect any of my SBIG cameras to SGP or CCDOPS. I receive an error that the camera can not be found. I have updated the drivers, then uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them. I have also used two different computers and used different USB and power cables, trying to get a connection.

My cameras are STT8300, and two ST 402me.

Can someone please help me with this issue?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Uninstalling and reinstalling rarely helps.
    What operating system are you running? eg Windows 7 or Windows 10?
    Did you download the latest SBIGUniversal Driver and CCDOPS ?
    Did you check the Windows Device Manager to see if a camera is listed?
    Did you try a different USB cable?

3. JamiB

JamiB Standard User

Hi Colin and thanks for your assistance.
    I am running Windows 10.
    This morning I was able to get CCDOPS and SGP to recognize my ST 402me cameras. However, my STT 8300 is still not recognized by either.
    I have tried different USB cables for all three cameras and the cables or power sources have no effect on the programs recognizing or not recognizing the cameras.
    I updated the drivers with SBIG driver checker.
    I did not update CCDOPS though, since I get the same message on both CCDOPS and Sequence Generator Pro for the STT and both programs recognize the ST 402`s.
    The device manager does not display the STT camera but it does display both of the ST 402me cameras.
    I tried different USB ports with the STT camera with the same results on all three USB ports.
    So, for some reason the camera is not communicating with the computer.

Kind regards,

JamiB

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

For the STT:
    In the device manager, do you get a yellow warning icon or unknown device? Check under "Other devices"
    What if you expand out the devices listed there.

Does the STT fan run, shutter make a click, or any lights come on when you power it up and plug it into the USB?

Can you check the power supply is putting out 12V DC with a voltmeter?
    Be careful doing so - make sure you disconnect the AC, remove the power pack from the camera, and then connect up the multimeter on the DC Volts setting to the power output of the adapter. Then connect up the AC and see if you get 12-13V DC.

Am going to should our Repair Centre @Bill could chime in too.
    It sounds like it could be a hardware failure or possibly a fuse problem.

5. JamiB

JamiB Standard User

Thank you sir, I will check into your suggestions. I will check into other devices in the device manager but the other cameras show up with the familiar chime as they appear in the menu.
    The fan activates on the STT but i am not sure about the status lights.

I`ll get back with you when I have run the other checks

JamiB

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, if the fan runs on the STT, that's a good sign.
    Are you plugging the camera directly into a USB port on the computer? (no hubs, extensions, active extensions, a short usb cable like 6 feet 2metres?)

What's the history on this? eg used to work then it wasn't in use ? OR hit by lightning?

A sample of what the unknown device might look like:
    unknowndevice.png

What version of the driver checker and CCDOPs are you using?
    Latest are here:
    ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SetupDriverChecker64.exe
    and:
    ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/InstOps.exe

You could also try USBView to see if the device shows up.

7. JamiB

JamiB Standard User

History on this camera. I purchased used from OPT and began using it a couple of months latter after receiving my filters. It worked without issues till the last time I imaged with it. The camera shut off a couple of times during the session and the message window said something went wrong with the operating system. The camera continued to work through the session.

Yesterday before my imaging session I plugged it into my laptop to check that all my filters were in their correct location. The camera and filter wheel was recognized and worked without issue. Then when I tried to connect to the camera at the start of my session, I get the message that the device cannot be found. That is the current status of my camera when I try to connect.

I checked the power supply and I am getting 12v.
    I found a short USB cable and plugged in without and hubs, etc. No yellow warning icon.
    The shutter clicks and fans activate when the power is plugged in.
    The first green light and the second red light blink on when the power is connected. Then the first green light stays lit.
    I can not find the device anywhere in the device manager even after expanding all of the options.
    USB view. I get no returns when I search for this either through the internet or in my tool search.

Your links do not work. The message is FTP IP address cannot be found.

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Well, if you got a message saying something is wrong with the operating system, that is concerning.

Is this a portable setup or in a permanent observatory?
    Are you using the laptop off battery or AC adapter?

Have you turned off Windows Power Management and USB selective suspend = disable the option to Allow Windows to turn off this device to save power, on all USB devices, USB hubs, and USB root hubs.

The links are clickable in your browser. They should just work, e.g. in Firefox.

Am running low on ideas.

9. JamiB

JamiB Standard User

It is a portable set up and I run off of AC adapter.
    I have disabled auto shut off in Windows.

10. JamiB

JamiB Standard User

I reinstalled the driver checker and CCDOPS. When I tried to connect through CCDOPS the window said it was connecting to the camera, then the whole program shut down. I tried again and the program did the same thing.

What does Bill think about the issue?

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Here's one last idea... Does the driver checker connect to the camera when you go onto the firmware tab to get the firmware version from the camera?

12. JamiB

JamiB Standard User

OK, so now CCDOPS shuts down when I try to connect the ST 402 camera`s, as well as to the STT. SGP will connect to one of the ST 402`s but times out when I try to connect to the other 402.