issue with stl11k under XP

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by micv, Jan 10, 2015.

1. micv

micv Standard User

hello , i have issue with my stl11k, this issue appear randomly along sessions.
    computer is under xp pro sp3 with last updates, sbig driver checker up to date, last version of ccdsoft 5.00.210, and maximdl 5.06.
    no error message under maximdl,it appear "no camera" in the control panel setup.when i try disconnect/connect the camera, maxim return "no camera found"
    i use ccdautopilot 4 , and i have "Ti2 error" in the log at the issue moment.

close maxim, try with ccdsoft, the error message is "error code 1001".

i have powered off/power on the camera, and connect it again with success in maxim or ccdsoft.

I have checked the usb cable and secure the usb socket at the camera (it was loose a little). it is the original usb cable, connected directly to the computer.

it seem usb communication error, can it be an hardware issue of the camera?

also, I have tried several times to uninstall/install sbig driver checker, ccdsoft, maximdl , with no success.
    always this ramdom issue... last night , issue at 11pm, which stop ccdautopilot session, and the night before, the session run completely...

any idea to help me?
    thank you
    regards
    michael

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Are you using a USB hub?

Have you tried using a different USB cable?

Have you tried connecting to a different USB port?

3. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

the CCDSoft error code 1001 means: CE_CAMERA_NOT_FOUND , so the same as Maxim reported.
    Could you try your camera on different computer with newer windows versions ? It looks that
    there may be something wrong with your Windows setup, if your camera sometimes works and sometimes
    doesn't.
    Jan

4. micv

micv Standard User

hello tim, Jan,
    thank you for your reply,
    no hub for the camera, we have tried another usb port, same issue.
    I 'll try with another usb cable soon and i let you know.
    this camera/setup work perfectly since September without issue. this issue appear suddenly , and nothing has been changed in the set up (hardware and software).
    sometimes I had another error message from maxim dl when i try to reconnect the camera after power off/on : filter wheel can't be initialised , or something like that.
    can this issue occur with a filter wheel problem and abort exposure with TI2 error?
    unfortunately, this observatory is a remote observatory in south of spain, it is difficult to organize a maintenance and take time , and i can not try with another computer on site.
    jan , how can I test windows setup?
    thank you for your help.
    best regards

5. Jan Soldan

Difficult to say, where the problem is if you operate it remotely. Maybe, simple problem with USB cable connection.
    Could you run the SbigDriverChecker64 on your remote XP and check which version of the driver (sbigudrv.dll) you
    is actually installed ? The best solution would be to check it with another computer, say notebook. You can check it
    with CCDOPS application which is free for download from www.sbig.com.
    Jan

6. micv

micv Standard User

sbig driver checker is 3.11 built 5
    sbigudrv.dell is 4.81 built 1 and say it is not the current version.
    other say is current .
    i must upgrade?
    thank you

7. micv

micv Standard User

also, i see in config driver an option "asynchronous usb I/O" , it is unchecked, can i check it?

8. Jan Soldan

Your SBIGDriverChecker64 is very obsolete, the current version is 4.00, build 10 and the sbig driver (sbigudrv.dll) version is 4.82, build 1.

I have both versions installed on my XP (SP2) machine and can operate my STL-6k3 camera on that machine without any problem.
    Just tested it to be quite sure.

Regards,
    Jan

9. Jan Soldan

Sorry, I forgot to note that I can't guarantee your camera will work after the driver update,
    there may be some hardware problems like bad cable, etc., which are independent on the driver version,
    especially if your system worked previously without any problems as you mentioned above.
    Regards,
    Jan

10. micv

micv Standard User

hi jan,
    i have updated driver checker and driver.
    also, we'll try with another usb cable when the weather permit it.
    i let you know.
    thank you

11. Jan Soldan

Yes, let me know. I have also forgot to tell you, that the driver always uses an asynchronous I/O transfers
    with the camera under Windows, so "asynchronous usb I/O" checkbox has no influence on communication.
    On Linux we only use synchronous I/O libusb functions.
    Jan

12. micv

micv Standard User

hello Jan,
    i don't solve my problem , i have tried a new usb cable directly from camera to computer.
    last night i have this issue with ccdsoft and CCD autopilot 4 :

23:18:21 I:TI1, CCDSoft.App: SBIG driver: Transmission timeout.

Error code = 1007 (0x3ef).

i can post the log of ccdA.
    strange things, when i do dark exposure for long time, no error appear with ccdsoft.

i will really appreciate help, i'm despite of this camera/software.

13. Jan Soldan

This CCDSoft error (with offset 1000) is generated by SBIG driver and means: CE_TX_TIMEOUT = 7 Driver returns error code 7 if it cannot send data (usually through USB channel) to the camera. It looks like your STL11K is somehow blocked and cannot read incomming command(s) from USB bus. Did you observe this error only once or several times during your sesion ? Was you able to operate your camera without switching its power supply off/on ? if you see such error very often, you could catch it as described here:
    http://www.diffractionlimited.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-log-debug-messages.692/ and send us your log file.
    Jan

14. micv

micv Standard User

hi Jan,
    yes this error comes several times during the automatic session.
    when I abort the session, I can not operate the camera, I must switch off/on the camera to operate.
    I have activated the log debug few night ago ,see the zip file ,i see error 7 time out.
    i will try to do it tonight with a new log file, because i think this one have several nights.
    i hope it is not hardware issue with the camera.
    regards

Attached Files:

15. Jan Soldan

Hi,
    I think this is not a problem with hardware of your camera, but probably problem with your imaging setup,
    PC, operating system and/or possibly some USB temperature problems. Do you still control your camera via XP ?
    If so, you could try Win 7 or 8 too.
    Jan

16. micv

micv Standard User

well i would still control the camera with xp, because i don't plan to go to this remote observatory soon. May be in several month, this one is 1500km away (south spain), and generally i go twice / year.
    next time I'll probably go with W7 to install it. in this laps of time, i would like to try solve this problem with xp.
    what do you think of the log debug report?
    is it possible for you to do a remote connection on the computer and try to diagnose something?
    thank you
    regards

17. Jan Soldan

I understand you now, but I think we cannot solve this problem if your scope is so far from you.
    jan