Issues with AFW-10s in Dual Filter wheel configuration

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Steven Mastronardo, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Steven Mastronardo

Steven Mastronardo Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

For our observatory upgrades we have decided to use two AFW-10s and an Atik APX60. Currently, in our setup, we have two AFW-10s configured in a dual filter wheel configuration. With an Atik camera connected. When trying to connect on Maxim DL Pro, we've been having no issues connecting to the Atix APX60 itself. But when we try to connect to the APX60 and the Filter wheels in a dual filter wheel configuration we consistently get this error message:
    upload_2023-10-24_9-23-46.png

During our troubleshooting, we discovered that in the properties while Setting up the filter wheel, if removing the Dual Filter wheel option as so Maxim DL Pro has no problem connecting to both the filter wheel and the APX60:

upload_2023-10-24_9-25-10.png

As far as I'm aware, it's still a fairly new configuration to have an SBIG Filter wheel with a different proprietary camera. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

-Steven

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We have many customers with mixed hardware.
    Have you actually set up each filter wheel's set of filters in all 3 places?
    e.g. FW 1 Setup, FW 2 Setup, and then in MaxIm's filter wheel list?
    The error is likely indicating that there are no filters set in one of the wheels OR the "combined wheel".

3. Steven Mastronardo

We have set up each set of filters for FW1, FW2, and the Virtual Slots in Maxim as such:

upload_2023-10-24_12-9-59.png

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I think what you meant to do is more like this:
    dual_slot_mapping.png
    Virtual slot 1 as you have it would stack the Sloan g' with the JC B filter.
    This is helpful for example for bright star photometry - create g'_ND1 which would be a g' in one wheel combined with a neutral density 1 filter in the other.
    MaxIm isn't smart enough to automap the virtual slots to a useful name, so you need to set up the virtual slots in the combos you want (usually a clear with a colored), and then name them in MaxIm.

If you still get the -1 error after you are finished, let me know, and we will take a look at this further.

5. Steven Mastronardo

I changed the setup to be more in line with your recommendations, here:
    upload_2023-10-24_17-8-24.png

I have the same number of virtual slots as I do in the Position number in the Setup ASCOM menu. I'm still encountering the same error message as I was receiving previously.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I'll discuss this with development colleagues when we are back at work tomorrow.

7. Steven Mastronardo

Any updates?

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Steven,
    We've realized that our documentation could be clearer, and found a discrepancy.
    Inside each filter wheel is a small switch labelled "Address":
    AFW_address_switch.png

We think you need to open the second wheel, and change the address switch to "1" (the second position).

If that does not solve it, then please confirm you are running:
    ASCOM Platform 6.6 SP2 - the ASCOM Diagnostics program will show this on the first screen.
    MaxIm DL Pro 6.40 - Help... About will show you.
    Please zip up your settings folder including all the subfolders and send it to us using [Upload a File].
    Settings are normally under:
    Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings

You can Send a Private Message to me and include that information if you'd prefer to send it a a non-public way.

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Just to be clear: First wheel will be Address 0. Second wheel will be Address 1.