Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud Issues with AFW-12-50r

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Paul ricketts, Oct 13, 2023.

1. Paul ricketts

Paul ricketts Cyanogen Customer

Trying to figure out what's wrong here. I have the afw12 and the usb filterwheel adapter. I keep getting this error in maxim DL and a no filter position error in the skyx.

Latest ascom software, maxim DL 6.30, windows 10 latest updates. I am using a USB to ethernet to usb converter but this works fine with the camera. Filter wheel initializes, spins, and finds home on position 1. Installed the usb drivers, uses com 12. Ascom sees it when checking with it.

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Paul, I suspect you've missed one small step:
    ASCOM Chooser - Properties, then after you set the COM port:
    usb-fw-model.png
    Click [FW 1 Setup] and to select the filter wheel model as AFW-12.
    I've put some green arrows on the screen shot.

Clear skies!

3. Paul ricketts

Paul ricketts Cyanogen Customer

Hi Colin,
    I did that and still received the errors I mentioned. Am I missing the proper cable from the filterwheel to the adapter box? I had to use a standard DB9 cable. That's the only thing I can thing of.

When using the ascom, I do get this...

Name Short driver name - please customise
    description ascom filterwheel driver for sbig.usb_fw
    driverinfo Information about the driver itself. Version: 1.1
    Driverversion 1.1
    Interfaceversion 2
    position 0

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

We normally ship a DB9 cable with the filter wheel. Usually it is grey and under 18 inches long. Did you receive that?

5. astrophys

astrophys Cyanogen Customer

Hi, no db9 cable. The driver thumb drive was missing also, I installed some from an email I received from DL though.

6. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Are you with University of Utah? (Just trying to figure out two different people or accounts on this thread). I want to track down your order details on our end.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I just checked, and the cable was definitely packed with the order. It was a grey, straight-through DB9 cable made by L-COM, about 2.5 ft long. Here's a photo of it:
    cable.png

8. astrophys

Hi, those were not in the box when I received it.

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I checked the packing list and shipping photos, the cable was definitely there, but the memory stick was not. Would you like us to ship you a cable? If so, I need the exact address to ship it to.

10. astrophys

Please do. Should I pm you? Also, in case this isn't a cable issue, are there any other thoughts to the problem? It's a 10 hr round trip to this observatory.

11. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Yes, please PM me with the shipping address.
    Did you set the filter names in MaxIm? Not just in the ASCOM driver, but in the filter wheel setup? For all 10 slots?
    filternames.png
    If the observatory is internet accessible, perhaps we could schedule a time and I could remote in and have a look. We have a no-install support utility for that.

12. astrophys

Hi, Yes, I have set all the filter names for every slot and made sure they're matching.

Unfortunately our observatory is very locked down and can only be accessed from a single computer on campus for remote access. If there are any troubleshooting steps you would look at, please let me know and I'll perform them. I've been using maxim and sbig products since 2004 so I'm pretty familiar with things.

13. astrophys

Still nothing. New cable installed, same error. I'll remove the unit and we can figure it out that way.

Attached Files:

14. astrophys

Another issue I've just noticed is the power connector does not make a good connection and depending on how I hold it, it can toggle off and on power into the USB-FW. This is WITH the ring set in place and synched down. Im not sure if this has caused am issue with the USB board inside the box, but it could. I tried both the gray extension and the adapter plug and both have the same issue.

15. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Paul, I'm going to ask my colleague @Tim on the power connector issue.
    I suspect the centre contact can be spread slightly using a jewellers screwdriver.
    There are no other reports of this problem.

Regarding the setup, could you zip up your MaxIm settings folder and Upload it?
    eg \Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings

16. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That's a common issue with that style of connector. If you snag the cable and lever the plug sideways, it squashes together the two tines in the middle of the jack.

upload_2023-11-21_11-56-30.png

As Colin suggests, get a fine tip screwdriver in there and gently pry them apart.

17. astrophys

Hi Doug,
    I've retrieved the filterwheel and adapter box from the observatory. I have used an SBIG camera to connect to the filterwheel and it communicates fine via the port on the camera. When trying to connect through the USB-FW, that's when i get the errors we talked about above. This indicates that the usb box may have some issues. Please let me know how to proceed from here.

thanks!

18. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

I've recently learned that this happens because the filter wheel fails to report a valid model ID. I'm going to send you some instructions in a private message so we can collect logs from the driver.