Jupiter and Mars 'RegiStax'

Discussion in 'My Astrophotos' started by ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR, Jul 28, 2018.

1. ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR

ROBERT T SCHAEFER JR Cyanogen Customer

Things about the ZWOASI120MC-S WebCam that I have from OptCorp . There is a small pamphlet that comes with it with tiny print but
    I tried some of the settings it shows for the SharpCap software it uses . I might have been using the wrong settings .
    One thing I noticed in the directions was that there is a setting in SharpCap called ' Turbo USB ' and if you press 'Auto' it will use
    the ' 100 ' setting which is the full USB transfer from the WebCam to the HDD in the laptop to store the images in a file ; ... they say that
    there isn't a laptop that can download 400MBs/1s like it is trying to do at that ' Turbo USB ' transfer ... so they say use ' 80-90 ' for the
    ' Turbo USB ' setting instead . So I tried it with the Lens that comes with the WebCam indoors during the daytime and a box with some red and
    black letters on it showed in the screen as the 'Live View' scene , so I tried the ' 100 ' setting and then the ' 80 ' , then the ' 90 ' and ' 75 ' where the
    clearest and sharpest letter edges appeared was at the ' 85 ' 'Turbo USB' setting . Then I saw they have ' Gamma at 50 ' and 'Brightness at 2 ' ,
    and for ' White Balance .. Red at 70 ... and Blue at 90 ' ... so I set them that way and looked with the WebCam at the ceiling which was darkened red
    wood and a picture on the wall that has a pink border and the colors matched so I assume it might be the right way for the color camera using
    RGB24 which you would use for Jupiter which I'l try one night .. but I wasn't using these settings before . With the 'Turbo USB' setting if it's
    wrong it might be forcing the data into the laptop and helping to distort the images ??? . With the color red and blue settings it might be making a pink
    color a pink color . The other setting they showed was 'Gain' and that was at ' 90 ' but I use ' 34 ' and I tried ' 90 ' and it was coarse for reading letters on
    a box but ' 40 ' looks OK . I slid the slider all the way to the left and it says ' 10 ' and is very dim like ' ISO100' and then with the arrow keys I moved the
    indicator to the right one notch and it was at ' 20 ' and a little brighter like 'ISO200' I might assume like the Canon Rebel T7i and then the next line as
    ' 30 ' like 'ISO400' then ' 40 ' like 'ISO800' .... so nothing up like that eventually comes to ' 90 ' and it looks sparse and grainy ..but this setting is probably for
    60fps instead of 15fps or 8fps like I use and an idea like 'ISO1600' ..? . I'l see if these things work on Jupiter for 30sec WebCam streams and stack them in
    RegiStax .
    I have an image of Jupiter with a TeleVue 2.5XPowerMate into a 2XPowerMate with the ZWOASI120MC-S and a 'Settings' file of Saturn and it shows the
    maybe wrong settings I was using ... the planet is large here .
    Another 'Settings' file shows the settings I changed it to like above and did a Snapshot image to save the 'Settings' file ...included without an image .
    And Mars from a low power from 1600-frames that made an image with 344-frames but maybe 20-frames would be better and the old settings were used .x
    It might be possible in MaximDL Pro to use 'color' scaling 'red-70%' , 'blue-90%' but green I don't know but if there is supposed to be pink in the image like
    in Cygnus with a camera lens making some 'green' adjustments might show some pinkish areas .x

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

More on the RegiStax proceedures using Jupiter again and Mars ... I was reading RegiStax Tutorials and 'How to use RegiStax 6 by
    Paul Maxson .. and I tried some 'Wavelet' commands like he says using the shown settings ... and they seem to work , so I
    made 'files' for the 'Wavelet' command that can be 'loaded' in thru the 'Load' button and it will apply to the image . The commands are
    extreme but they seem to work in some cases and if 100-frames are stacked i might be better .
    Here are example images and some 'Wavelet' 'files' ... Jupiter is a large image at the high power but it looks better and done with another
    Jupiter .avi file than the last large Jupiter image.
    Another part of the Tutorial says that before you press the 'Set Alignpoints' button you 'check' the box for 'Show PreFilter' and 'check' 'Normalize'
    ... but with a large Jupiter and a bright light color it might 'over-contrast' so you then also 'check' 'Gamma' and toggle down from 1.0 the an amount
    that looks normal and do it that way ...otherwise just the 'Normalize' will do ....with Mars it didn't work right .x 'RegiStax' 'Wavelet' files are changed to .txt but they must be .RWV to 'open' in 'RegiStax' .