Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud Linux drivers for arm v8 64bit

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by Stefan Baar, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Stefan Baar

Stefan Baar Standard User

I am looking for linux arm v8 64bit drivers for my sbig STL.

Looking around online, I can find the following drivers for big cameras

libsbig32.bin: ELF 32-bit LSB
    libsbig64.bin: ELF 64-bit LSB
    libsbig_arm_v6.bin: ELF 32-bit LSB
    libsbig_arm_v7.bin: ELF 32-bit LSB
    libsbig_arm_v8.bin: ELF 32-bit LSB <- but no 64bit

where could I find those?

2. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Staff Member

We haven't cross-compiled SBIGUDrv for an ARM architecture in a while, but it is on our list of things to tackle. I'm assembling an ARMv8 x64 dev environment as I type this so hopefully, I can get back to you with a resolution soon.

3. Stefan Baar

Stefan Baar Standard User

Hi Adam, thank you for the quick response. Are there any news about the driver for 64bit arm_v8 ?

4. Jim Garlick

Jim Garlick Standard User

Just adding a "me too" on the need for 64bit ARM. This would be very helpful to have.
    Thanks,
    Jim

5. Adam Robichaud

Here's a .deb package containing SBIGUDrv compiled for ARMv8 x64. Install it via:

unzip sbigudrv_4.99_armhf.deb.zip
    sudo dpkg -i /path/to/sbigudrv_4.99_armh4.deb
    sudo apt-get install -f

Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

Attached Files:

6. Jim Garlick

Hi Adam,

I don't have hardware to test this week, but I unpacked the deb and it looks like the contents are 32-bit?

$ file libsbigudrv.so.1
    libsbigudrv.so.1: ELF 32-bit LSB shared object, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=3a99463fef1a65191e2993ae3e38e553720ff6b7, with debug_info, not stripped

Another thing that would be useful (and nice to have as part of the deb) is a changelog going back to about 4.75 which seems to be in wide circulation among INDI users.

Thanks!

Jim

7. Adam Robichaud

Huh... I'll double-check ASAP.

8. Jim Garlick

Correction: the version in widespread use is 4.84. The version in the header comment is out of sync with what you get when you interrogate the library.

9. Adam Robichaud

I'll see what I can do about getting a changelog, but for the moment here's a zip file with both 32- and 64-bit ARM binaries.

-A

Attached Files:

10. Jim Garlick

Thanks! Those libraries do claim to be the right thing. I'll try to arrange a test over the next week.

11. Jasem Mutlaq

Jasem Mutlaq Standard User

Hi Adam,

Thank you! We've been waiting for the arm64 library for a few years! Can we get builds for x86-32 and x86-64 Linux as well for the same version so that all builds are using the same library version?

Great work!

12. Jasem Mutlaq

13. Adam Robichaud

This is indeed 4.9.9.8, Jasem. Fair warning: the Santa Barbara Intrumentation Group used a non-standard versioning scheme, which is why this version is labeled as 4.99 build 8, rather than 4.9.9.8 in Driver checker 64.

We can work on getting x86 and x64 versions as well. Do you have a license statement for that udev rule file?

14. Jasem Mutlaq

Great, looking forward to the x86 versions. There is no specific license statement for the udev file, you can pick any open-source / creative-commons type licence for it.

15. rlancaste

rlancaste Standard User

This is very good to hear! Thank you for doing this Adam. I know you said before to be patient and our patience was rewarded. We very much appreciate being able to run it on an aarch64 or arm64 architecture because then we can use something like an ODroid or even a 64 bit Raspberry pi image to control our astronomy gear.

16. Jasem Mutlaq

Hello, just wanted to check in to see if there are any updates on the x86_64 version for the latest library?

17. Adam Robichaud

We've been busy getting out a new release of our Aluma camera API, and getting a beta version of MaxIm DL 6.21 out to the public, but I'll be circling back around to the x86_32 version shortly. x86_64 has been out for a while. Here's the .deb package for that.

Attached Files:

18. Jasem Mutlaq

Thank you! That's all I need since we dropped 32bit support a while ago.

19. Jasem Mutlaq

So I found an issue with the armhf library. It does not work on Ubuntu 18.04 or before. Ubuntu 18.04 is the current LTS. The problem is due to dependency on Glibc 2.28 which is the default in the latest (Buster) debian but not available on older LTS distros.

Most have 2.27, however, there is one function in the binary that is using 2.28:

U fcntl@@GLIBC_2.28

This prevents the library from working on > 90% of the current Linux distros. IMO, it should be either compiled on a slightly older Debian (e.g. Jessie) or Ubuntu 16.04 to make sure it works on as many systems as possible.

20. Jasem Mutlaq

Another issue I've seen with the _previous_ armhf version is that for ST-I cameras, it can sometimes time out.

Attached Files: