M33 on new Canon Camera

Discussion in 'My Astrophotos' started by Brian Atteridge, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Brian Atteridge

Brian Atteridge Cyanogen Customer

Took this shot on 10/19/19 with a camera i bought recently and modified for Astrophotography. Here is my setup:

Canon EOS 60D (IR modified)
    Orion SkyGLow Filter (2")
    Meade F/6.3 focal Reducer (apparently one of the F/4 ones according to Astrometry.net all sky solve)
    Meade LX-90 classic 8" OTA
    Orion Sirius EQ-G Tripod
    Orion StarShoot Autoguider and 50mm finder style guide scope
    Maxim DL 6.2 and Photoshop CS3

A total of 16 full color images were taken at a setting of 120 Seconds and ISO 1000 with corresponding darks and bias. Unfortunately i was unable to get a good set of flats due to the weather effects on my setup. There is also a lot of noise in the image since i only had time for he 16 shots but i will revisit this object later to get more to add to it. Photos were captured with MaximDL and edited first in MaximDL and then photoshop.

Attached Files:

• M33.jpg
      M33.jpg
      File size:
      6.7 MB
      Views:
    SMGMSU likes this.
  2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Brian -
    You can see this has potential. Thanks for sharing.
    I have this same camera, and it is somewhat noisy, although the colour response is decent in the deep reds.
    Did you do in-camera long exposure dark correction? That's one option. Another option is to make yourself a master dark at the ISO, exposure length, and same outdoor temperature.
    Also, if you are using the battery in the camera, either switch to an external power pack, OR use a external battery grip. The batteries gets hot in the camera body, and that adds to the noise.
    Try shooting at ISO 800. I recall mine gets much worse any faster.
    You may be able to use MaxIm to clean up the noise and adjust the color balance a bit.

3. Brian Atteridge

Brian Atteridge Cyanogen Customer

Hey Colin,

No, i did a manual dark subtraction/calibration using multiple dark files taken at the same time as the individual images rather than use the long exposure dark correction. I find it does a better job eliminating noise this way. In this case there simply weren't enough dark and light frames at the right temps to eliminate enough noise from the image. I also find the long exposure correction setting on the camera, on occasion, causes MaximDL to error out and disconnect the camera so i don't use it. I think it may time out waiting for the dark frame to capture if it is too long an exposure.

I use an external A/C power adapter instead of the batteries as this tends to last longer, the camera tends to go through the battery too fast otherwise. I decided to try ISO 1000 instead of the smaller values to see how much detail i can get. There is a lot of light pollution around my house and the skyglow filter can only eliminate so much of it. However i wanted to see how well the image will turn out at that setting. I did find that any settings above this had progressively way too much glow to make out any details. I might go with the ISO 800 next time and see how it does. I did use Maxim to try to clean up a bit of the noise but usually use Photoshop as i am more familiar with the process there.

Either way i know that the more images i add the less noise i will see since it will start to smooth out the noise and bring the details out quite a bit better. I saw that happen with an Dumbbell Nebula image i have been developing over multiple nights. I added it here so you can see the difference. M27-1.jpg is the earlier version that i also added to more recent images. M27.jpg is the current result. As you can see, much less noise showed up after summing all the individual results together. I am hoping that doing the same with M33 will yeild similar results and also increase the detail. I wonder though, can you do a 2x2 Binned image in color and then do a light image and combine them to increase this? or should you Bin RGB separately? Food for thought, might try it too and see what happens.

Attached Files: