M42 with STC-7 and Takahashi FSQ-106N

Discussion in 'My Astrophotos' started by Doug, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I was alerted by my Boltwood Cloud Sensor to a brief gap in the clouds on Friday night. I was able to gather just 32 minutes of data in R, G, B, and Ha.

I was running the STC-7 in StackPro High Gain mode, using 120 second integrated exposures. The camera was actually taking 16 x 7.5 second exposures and internally stacking them to produce an extremely high dynamic range 16-bit image. The high quantum efficiency and low noise of this camera produced very good data in just 32 minutes.

M42-proc.jpg

SimonW, Tim Povlick and Colin Haig like this.
  2. Tim Povlick

Tim Povlick Cyanogen Customer

Hi Doug,

That's an amazing image... At 7.5 seconds a lot of detail in the darker area AND the Trapezium stars were preserved.

Any comment on taking a sequences of images, (16 StackPro(tm)) using the Low, Medium and High gains and combining the L-M-H result via software as a "super HDR" image?

Tim

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'm sure that can be done... but I'm not sure you need to. This sensor has such low read noise. The challenge is in the image processing, not the data acquisition. I don't think my processing does that image justice! Just imagine if I'd been able to do a couple of hours on it...

Ross Ferguson and Bill like this.