Resolved M76 Sky Background

Discussion in 'My Astrophotos' started by mike m benjamin, Feb 14, 2023.

1. mike m benjamin

mike m benjamin Cyanogen Customer

What do you think of background of my Ha and Sii master frames? Are the blotches actually Ha and Sii? I can't say I've seen similar in other images of M76. Or is my Aluma 47-10 just that much more sensitive? My Oiii filter background is very even.

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

The 47-10 is the most sensitive "affordable" CCD on the planet; The QE curve is insanely good. e.g. between about 87 and 94% in the wavelengths of interest. Almost single photon counting.

Do you have any original raw FITS frames from MaxIm?
    I can't do much with these as PixInsight trashed the science data.

Here's a NOIR lab image that doesnt cover as wide a field.
    https://noirlab.edu/public/images/noao-m76-kpno-0-9-meter/
    You can see stuff off the sides of the "butterfly wings".

There a lot of detail in this Ha image from the Canaries:
    https://www.astrobin.com/391294/?q=m76

In these samples, you can see a lot of extra stuff in Halpha that does not show up on other folks images.
    Stuff shot with a 16803 or most Sony sensors just won't show it unless you have a huge scope - the QE is just not there.

You can always check:
    - compare/subtract other images taken to see if the blotches are positional - eg specific to the filter, and then they'd be in the same place.
    - if you have a bad frame in data set
    - go hunt for internal reflections
    - residual image effects - ghost images from charge remaining from pixels that got saturated

@Doug may have some additional comments

3. mike m benjamin

Hi Colin, here are single fits files of my Oiii and Ha data. I actually have two sets of narrowband filters, when I originally shot M76 a couple weeks ago I was suspicious so this past weekend I swapped the filters out but to my surprise the data looked the same so it would seem to verify the data is good. Just getting my feet wet with the new chip trying to get an idea of how long to my my exposures.

Attached Files:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

To draw any conclusions I'd really need a full set of images, plus calibration frames, in one of the filter bands.

5. mike m benjamin

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The flat folder is full of .xisf files; I think that is some kind of proprietary Pixinsight format? I need FITS.

7. mike m benjamin

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Here's what I got from processing your images in MaxIm DL. You can see that there is some faint nebulosity in the background. Blinking the individual images after calibration I can see that there's some stuff there... so I'm pretty sure it's real.

On the other hand, your image has a lot of extra blobs.

Most of "my" blobs show up in "your" image... but there's a whole bunch of them in your image that are NOT in mine.

This makes me think something went wrong with your image processing. Maybe there were some misaligned images that got added in???

My image:

Autosave Image.jpg

Your image:

Ha_master (1).jpg

9. mike m benjamin

Doug, mystery solved. It looks like my data late January is suspect (Antlia 3nm) I stacked each session individually and the first set has all the extra blobs and the second set of data from last weekend using the Baader 3.5nm looks exactly the same as your stack. I'd say it's pretty impressive for all of 24 minutes of data!

Colin Haig and Doug like this.