MacOS - STC-7, SC-2E, Maxim LT

Discussion in 'Aluma CCD Series' started by Jillson, May 14, 2022.

1. Jillson

Jillson Standard User

Aloha Diffraction,

Mac Monterey, 12.0.1
    Stellarvue SVX102T-R

Per the User's Manual(s), requesting drivers/software/firmware as needed for Mac.

Also have attached 2 photos of the camera, FW, and SC. I may have to brush-up on my Canadian language skills, but do I have the assembly correct?

thanks, with good thoughts - Jef

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2022
  2. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Jef, I'm working on a bug in the MacOS driver at the moment. I'll try and get you an updated version ASAP.

3. Jillson

Jillson Standard User

Thanks Adam.

For all: how have others resolved the ASCOM/Maxim/MacOS? Might I have a simpler and easier astronomical life to resort to Parallels and Windows?

4. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Most people use Parallels to use MaxIm on their MacOS machines. It's not an officially supported configuration, but I've done it in the past without any major issues. If you want to go that route, I've attached the x86_64 SDK for Windows. You can peruse the documentation on the SDK here: https://cdn.diffractionlimited.com/dlapi/

Attached Files:

5. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    FYI The AAVSO Net uses Macs with Parallels. You could contact any of the AAVSO active people like Gary Walker and find out.

6. Frank R. Santore

Frank R. Santore Cyanogen Customer

I've controlled my Mac hardware based observatories for years using Parallel Workstation and can reaffirm it has worked wonderfully for me. Many of our colleagues will say' just put a cheap dedicated PC' in the dome, but I like the fact that getting back to my email/browser/file environment is a key click away, not to mention that I'm only maintaining one machine rather than two.

HOWEVER, have you noticed current events lately? After almost 2 decades using Parallels, I no longer wish to risk employing a complex blackbox set of software coming from a nation known for hacking, governmental coercion, and lack of humanity. With some effort I've switched to VMWare Fusion, which I would say runs equally well. I just thought I would weigh in that there is a solid US domestic alternative, and I'm currently fine in 3 different domes that are using it. Also note, Parallels will basically incur a yearly cost per machine, Fusion will not.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Parallels is made in Germany... and owned by Corel in Canada ... so am not sure what that is about.

8. Frank R. Santore

Frank R. Santore Cyanogen Customer

Hmmm, interesting. From my post, you can perhaps gleen that my decades history with the product might mean dated knowledge. I've reviewed the subject (link below) which validates my memory of the author's home country, and the location of original coding. For many years, the community actively discussed its robustness relative to nefarious code given that nations exigent tendencies. I nonetheless chose to use it for many years largely because of its continued evolution and excellent virtualization. It's great that it is now in the hands of Coral, and evidently has been so for some time. In addition to my point about its origins, I felt compelled to note the less expensive VMWare alternative. They also are top-notch, and I'm quite comfortable having made the switch both for the Fusion virtualization performance and the reasoning I posted. So 'that's what its about', though I do regret having diverted from the more technical topics of interest. :)

https://www.ewdn.com/2018/12/24/corel-acquires-leading-cross-platform-solution-publisher-parallels/