Magnitude of guide star in starchaser

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by martin ascherl, May 27, 2022.

1. martin ascherl

martin ascherl Standard User

I replaced my STL 11000 with built in autoguider and filter wheel with a sbig STX 16803 camera, AOX, ST 7 filter wheel and starchaser 3. I am using an RCOS 20" scope. I am dismayed because the only guide stars I can use with the starchaser pick off mirror are magnitude 6.5 or less whereas with the STL built in guider camera I could use up to magnitude 9 guide stars. This greatly limits available targets since few targets of interest are accompanied by guide stars of magnitude 6.5 or less. I assume this is because the starchaser camera is not cooled. How do I fix this problem?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Have you enabled simple autodark on the guider?

3. martin ascherl

I went to camera control, guide tab, options: "simple autodark", I had full calibration instead

4. martin ascherl

I went to camera control, guide tab, options: "simple autodark", I had full calibration instead[/QUOTE]
    I tried simple autodark last night and it seemed to help but I couldn't do a tracking session because the AO sttings were messed up. I had tried to setup my FW 7-STX and changed some of the settings and that is why the AO cannot be enabled. I could not remember the prior camera settings from 3 days ago when AO was working. I have an STX16803, AOX, Starchaser 3 and FW 7. Camera 1 is set to SBIG with AO, no AO dropdown menu is available. Camera 2 is set to DL imaging and AO sensor 2. I think this should be set to sensor one, but not sure. Very confused. What should the settings be?[/QUOTE]

5. martin ascherl