Manually installing DLAPI System Drivers

Discussion in 'DL Imaging Drivers - Aluma, STC, StarChaser' started by Adam Robichaud, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Some people have had trouble with Windows Update not installing their camera's system drivers automatically. Cameras with improperly installed device drivers will show up in your Device Manager under "Other Devices" with an error icon, but will not be detected by applications like DL Config or MaxIm DL. Here's a guide on how to install them manually: video instructions.

Step-by-Step Procedure:
    1. Go to https://diffractionlimited.com/support
    2. Click the "System Drivers" link under "Software Downloads" (permalink: https://cdn.diffractionlimited.com/down/DLAPISystemDrivers.zip)
    3. Extract the contents of the zip file onto your hard disk
    4. Copy the full path of the extracted directory to your clipboard
    5. With the camera connected to your computer, open your Device Manager (On Windows 10 and later: right-click the Start button, click "Device Manager")
    6. Find the camera under "Other Devices"
    7. Right-click the device and click "Update Drivers"
    8. Click "Browse my computer for drivers"
    9. Paste the full path of the extracted system drivers into the field labeled "Search for drivers in this location"
    10. Click "Next" and wait for the procedure to complete
    11. Once complete open DL Config and the camera should be discovered

Tim Povlick and Colin Haig like this.
  2. rat156

rat156 Standard User

Hi Colin,
    I think the main problem is that there aren’t drivers for the Apple Silicon. I’m no expert in Windows or Parallels, but I think that with the previously Intel powered Macs this would not have been a problem.

The end result is that the computer doesn’t install the drivers as is and so the camera comes up as an unrecognised device.

I have now tested the configuration for you, it doesn’t work!

Easiest fix for me is to purchase another laptop to run the camera with a supported configuration.

Thanks for being so responsive.

Cheers
    Stu

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Stu, yes a few of us have run our hardware on Parallels on Intel-based Mac hardware.
    The M2 (ARM) silicon is a whole other beast. The camera is dependent on FTDIChip drivers; the Mac OS may have decided the camera is a serial port or it may not have the right FTDIchip drivers loading under the hood of parallels.