Maxim and Mount, AO ? Not orthonormal

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by vinifera, Oct 1, 2021.

1. vinifera

vinifera Cyanogen Customer

I have an issue trying to get my AO8A calibrated.

Everything is hooked up and can connect. When the AO calibration gets underway, I have one of two errors:

1. not enough pixels in the X direction (<5) (Red guideline moves only in one axis) or
    2. Calibration failed: movement in x and y axes were not orthonormal (I get a V shaped red line).

Not really sure what is going on here. I've increased the time of both the X and Y axes, but no go.

The telescope is connected (Gemini 2, in sidereal tracking mode), and I can slew it manually all directions.

Thoughts?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Start with checking that guider control of mount movement works, without the AO.
    Guide tab - [MOVE] button will bring up the 4 way button.
    move_manual.png
    If there is a hand controller display of RA and DEC, watch that while you do several seconds of movement in each direction.
    Y normally corresponds to DEC, and so clicking Y+/Y- will increase/decrease DEC by starting the declination motor moving.
    X will speed up or slow down the RA motor.
    Once you know this is working, you've confirmed the correct cable connection.

3. vinifera

Thanks Colin - I can move the mount if I use the telescope control in maxim but it won’t budge when I’m using the guide move window. thoughts on why that might be? Seems like something on the guide menu isn’t connecting to the Gemini through as I’m but the telescope control is

scott

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Scott, if it doesnt move, then there are a couple possibilities:

1. Software

Since I'm not sure which camera and guider arrangement you have, here's some options.
    Select the correct guider output.
    In MaxIm, Camera Control Window, Guide tab
    Click Settings.
    There is a section for Autoguider Output. Set Control Via =
    - Guider Relays corresponding to Camera 2 eg a StarChaser SC-2 guide port connected to the mount guider input jack.
    OR
    - Main Relays corresponding to Camera 1 eg a blue Aluma camera with a guide port connected to the mount jack
    OR
    - Telescope = works poorly with some Losmandys
    OR
    - ASCOM Direct = will send guide commands via ascom - might work

main_relays.png

2. Wiring
    probably you need the other wiring arrangement for your guide cable.
    The SC-2 has this pin arrangement and we provide a cross-over (standard RJ-12 telephone style flat cable with the standard flipped wiring) with it:
    guider_jack_sc.png
    Erwin D. mentioned he had to change to a straight-through wired RJ-12 for his Gemini 2. There seem to be a few versions of the Gemini 2 hardware, and that can make a difference.

5. vinifera

One other thought - I’m finally connected to the Gemini through Ethernet and don’t have the SC2 connected by a guider cable since I’m using the ascom driver and not the relays to drive the mount. It didn’t seem to make a difference when I had the guider cord plugged in

6. vinifera

Thanks Colin - it’s and stf8300- sc2 -ao8a setup
    Both cameras are connected via usb to an Eagle 4 and from there a usb to Ethernet back to the Gemini 2. I can access the Gemini and use the telescope controls to move the mount through that setup. What doesn’t seem to move it is the guide move controls. I’ll take a look at the encoder cord that I’ve plugged into the Gemini. Just not clear why I can acesss and move the scope through maxims telescope control but not the guide through the same (telescope). Everything is up to date firmware and software wise.

7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Ok, since you've got Ethernet going:
    Camera Control Window - Guide tab - Settings
    Autoguider Output - Control Via - ASCOM Direct.
    [Setup] and pick the Gemini Telescope .NET
    [Properties]
    I think you need to check [x] Asynchronous Pulse Guide and [x] Precision Pulse Guide

8. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Attempt at a screen shot:
    gemini2.png
    I don't have one of these mounts. This is the Gemini 2 ASCOM driver 1.0.75 from here:
    https://gemini-2.net/Installing_ASCOM.html

If you hooked the guider cable to the STF, you could say Main Relays.
    If you hooked to the SC-2 (normal way to do it), you could say Guider Relays.

When it comes time to test the AO again,
    Make sure the SC-2 is set to have AO = Sensor 1. (There is only 1 sensor on the SC-2).
    You'll want that off while you debug the guider movement.

9. vinifera

Really appreciate the help. Still no go. I’ve changed the sc2 to sensor 1, tried both a straight and inverse cable between the sc2 reinstalled the Gemini driver. Not sure where to go from here don’t want to bail on the ao8/sc.

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Let me think this over, and see if I can find another Gemini2 customer who went down this path.
    Would you be up to try a remote session? eg where one of us signs into your machine via TeamViewer to check things over?
    Maybe we could schedule for next week.

11. vinifera

Sure! It’s going to be raining here so I’ve got to bring it inside anyway.