MaximDL in the cloud?

Discussion in 'General' started by TeachingAstronomer, Mar 19, 2020.

1. TeachingAstronomer

TeachingAstronomer Standard User

Are there any options for allowing students access to MaximDL in the cloud? My students still need to process their images, and now are off-campus where they can't use the computer lab where we have the software installed for their use. I know only one of them could use it at once, but I was thinking of making a cloud server and installing a MaximDL license there so that they could still complete their projects. Anyone have experience with this?

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

This is completely doable.
    The simplest approach might be to use TeamViewer, AnyDesk, or Microsoft Remote Desktop to allow remote control of a machine on campus/at the observatory.
    Windows Terminal Server (now called Microsoft Remote Desktop Services) is a more complex approach.
    We don't currently have a "cloud" version of MaxIm.
    Just make sure you have the correct number of licenses for the number of users.
    Cheers
    Colin

3. TeachingAstronomer

TeachingAstronomer Standard User

Thanks, we'll look into these options. I fear the campus firewall would make that difficult, but I'll give the IT department the chance to have a cow... I think our licenses are for a single user in a single Microsoft Windows login, but it sounds like if we can get remote desktop control, we can have as many people logged in as we have computers in the lab with the software installed (it is a small class, unlikely that more than one logs in at a time anyway). These are tough times to be teaching, and I appreciate your help!
    -Amy