MaximDL Pro license: Multiple PCs?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dan1204, May 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dan1204

Dan1204 Standard User

Hello,
    We are considering to purchase MaximDL Pro for our observatory. The software appears to fit our needs very well. However, before we order it, I want to make sure that the license allows us to install it on all 3 PCs. I was unable to find information regarding the maximum number of machines on which we can run it. Can you confirm that it will work on 3 in parallel?

Cheers,
    Dan

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The software license allows you to run one license on one machine. You are permitted to install on two machines, as long as you run it on one machine at a time.

If you are operating on three machines simultaneously, then you need three licenses.

3. Dan1204

Dan1204 Standard User

Thanks, Doug. That rules Maxim DL out for us.
    This is quite a strict license term, if I may say so!

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Not at all. Most software you buy is licensed for a single user.

5. Dan1204

Dan1204 Standard User

Most software that I buy has no reason to run on multiple machines in parallel, because it's not designed for operating an observatory. Maxim DL Pro is not an inexpensive tool, which may be perfectly justified in terms of its capabilities (otherwise we wouldn't consider to buy it), but I can't run the observatory on a single machine. So, that defeats the purpose. I can defend using our funds for a single license at its cost, not on three though.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I understand. But if you are running three cameras on three telescopes... well, you don't get three telescopes when you just buy one. The same principle applies. The software puts everything together so it is just as important, as not more so, than the hardware.

7. Dan1204

Dan1204 Standard User

I am running a single camera on a single telescope, remotely controlled. The data is transferred to one of two machines (in a different location) where it is processed and handled further.
    If I were to equip two observatories, I'd agree that I need the equipment twice. But this is a single system.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  8. Dan1204

Dan1204 Standard User

Maxim DL Pro is appealing to us because it appears to be able to handle all the necessary parts of that. But that only makes sense if we can actually use it that way!

9. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

You might consider using MaxIm DL Pro in the observatory, and MaxIm DL IP for a lot less money for image processing.

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay that’s a more reasonable use case. If you are sticking to the spirit of the license then we are okay with it. As in a single user at a time.

11. Dan1204

Dan1204 Standard User

What do you refer to here, Doug? Are you saying it would be okay if we use a single license of Maxim DL Pro in the way I described? If that's the case then we are getting somewhere! What do you mean with "a single user at a time" in that case?
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the spirit of the license?

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you are using the software, and your friend Fred is also simultaneously using it on another computer, then you are violating the license.

If Bob is doing imaging and data comes over the network to the second computer for processing, and Bob is looking at the results, then it’s not a big problem.

13. Dan1204

Dan1204 Standard User

Understood. In that case our work would violate your license (we are 3 people working together, and the point is to be able to do it at the same time).
    I assume the same applies to the Maxim DL IP license that Bob mentioned? Or can we use that on two machines simultaneously, while the third runs Maxim DL Pro? Not that I am very eager to buy two versions of the software, but let's discuss the option...

We don't do astrophotography here, we are doing science. Being able to run these in parallel is the point. Two people are running it on three computers. The idea of one person using one computer is nonsensical in that context.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Basic concept is two users - two licenses. Given your situation we can bend things a little to allow you to share the data collection machine.

So if you buy one MaxIm DL Pro and one MaxIm DL IP license, we can approve that usage.