Maxpoint and Losmandy/Gemini 1.4

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by Brian O'Rourke, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Brian O'Rourke

Brian O'Rourke Cyanogen Customer

I have a Losmandy G-11 Gemini 1.4, and I'm interested in using Maxpoint. Will there be a conflict with Gemini. Should I just clear its pointing model and run from a cold start?
    I'm not sure how the Maxpoint works as a hub. Will it populate the menus of my already existing software such as the SkyX, because I don't see Maxpoint listed as an option. I do see POTH though.
    I've tried the MaxIm DL demo (not Maxpoint though) and liked it but I'm trying to clarify these points so that I can decide which version of MaxIm to get, Pro or Prosuite.

Thanks Brian

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

There should be no conflicts with the Losmandy mounts. MaxPoint sits between the controlling software (TheSky for example) and the mount. When the command is given to move the mount, TheSky passes the coordinates to MaxPoint. MaxPoint then makes the pointing corrections and passes the offset coordinates on to the mount (it actually offsets the coordinates, it doesn't change them) . Whichever software you are using, as long as MaxPoint receives the coordinates before the mount, it will make the pointing corrections.

Once MaxPoint is setup, you should run a calibration procedure to create a map for the mount.

MaxPoint is a hub, and is recognized as an ASCOM telescope..multiple programs can connect to it at the same time. In TheSky, you should be able to connect to MaxPoint as a Telescope. Then in MaxPoint, you configure the Losmandy.

3. Brian O'Rourke

Brian O'Rourke Cyanogen Customer

Hi Tim;
    OK, so I connect The SkyX to Maxpoint to the Gemini Ascom interface. I guess what I need to know is, what do I set Gemini at. Do I begin with a cold start then sync to a star and leave it at that, letting Maxpoint do everything from there on?
    Would I start every session like that and have Maxpoint re-create the model each time or will the model be stored? The scope is permanently located in a dome.
    Thanks for the quick reply;
    Brian

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Yes, connect, align, and sync. You want to be somewhat within the ballpark before starting the MaxPoint calibration. If you are not, there is likely a problem elsewhere. Then if you have pinpoint setup, you can run an auto calibration routine on ~100 stars or so. Once it is done, it will save the calibration points and use it to create the calibration map.

If you change any of your hardware, you would want to do a new calibration map. If after doing an inital calibration routine, if it is still not centered, the calibration map may be bad, and you may have to start over.

When starting a new session, connect, align and sync....if it is still accurate, you can begin your imaging session. If it is off slightly, you can "recal permanent" using ~6-12 stars to update the current calibration map...you do not need to do a full ~100 star routine.