MaxPoint Question

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by Andrew Fischer, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Andrew Fischer

Andrew Fischer Cyanogen Customer

I used up my demo of MaxIm DL Pro. I love it and Thank You for providing a way to test the software before buying. I decided to move forward with the purchase but suddenly got interested in the benefits of MaxPoint. My question, is MaxPoint usable and worth it if I don't have a permanent setup? I don't have an observatory so I must setup/take down every time I image. From what I've read, MaxPoint is more for a permanent setup?

Thanks, Andrew

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

MaxPoint can operate in a portable setup.

The main problem people would encounter is how long it takes to generate a good mount model. Ideally you would use 50-100 points, which can take a while, even with the auto-calibration function.

Fortunately there is a way to re-use your mount model, and update it to take account of changes that happen when you move your mount. As long as the weight loading on the instrument is the same (i.e. same camera, balanced the same, etc.) the axis alignment and flexure modeling will be the same. The difference will be in the polar alignment and RA/Dec offset.

MaxPoint includes a feature called "Recal Portable". This allows you to recalibrate only the polar alignment and RA/Dec offset terms of the model, while leaving the rest as-is. You can do that with about 8 observation points spread around the sky, which only takes a few minutes to do. The higher-order terms are unaffected, so you don't need to re-run 50-100 points every time you set up your telescope.

You also have the option to save your models, which means if you set up your equipment in a couple of different ways (for example use different cameras sometimes) then you can have models saved for each configuration.

The MaxPoint manual is available here: http://diffractionlimited.com/help/maxpoint/MaxPoint.htm

3. Andrew Fischer

Andrew Fischer Cyanogen Customer

Thanks, Doug. I have the Pro version demo installed on the laptop now and past the expiration date. To buy the Pro Suite, would I uninstall the Pro demo version first, then install the Pro Suite?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No need to uninstall either MaxIm DL or MaxPoint. Just enter the new license in each program, and you're good to go.