Need help resolving issues with a Celestron Nightscape 95555 CCD

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by lchevato, Apr 24, 2016.

1. lchevato

lchevato Standard User

Greetings fellow nightgazers

I have a good friend of mine that owns an observatory. He gave me one of his older CCD cameras, a Celestron Nightscape Mod# 95555, with the condition that if I could fix it, it would be mine. Apparently something in his setup took a nasty fall some night during an observation session, which resulted in the MiniUSB connector ripping itself completly off of the PCB, taking a fair amount of traces with it.

I have been in contact with Celestron, and they referred me to you regarding the hardware issues with that camera. They claim you built it. My questions are these:

1) Did Diffraction Limited or Cyanogen build this camera?
    2) If so, do you service these cameras
    3) Is there a way (at cost) to obtain a schematic (or a pertinent schematic section) of the PCB area in question (contact area of the MiniUSB to the PCB). I have skills.
    4) Or, if you (or someone) could take a picture of the PCB at the location where the MiniUSB is layed on the PCB, showing the wiring, It would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance for any and all help you could provide.
    Sincerely

Fred Delgado

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You would have to contact Celestron for service on those cameras.

Although it's no big secret that we were involved in the project (after all the AstroFX software has a Diffraction Limited copyright notice on it), we are under an NDA agreement. I can't give you any information about the camera that isn't already publicly available.

Suggestion: pull the board out and read the part number off the USB chip; you'll find the datasheet for it on the FTDI web site. That data sheet will tell you how it is supposed to be wired to the USB connector.

That said, USB 2.0 requires controlled impedance circuits, and any kludged wires are going to cause reflections. Even if you can successfully hook it up, it may or may not work depending on how bad the impedance mismatch is.