Need to install SBIG drivers manually. Procedure?

Discussion in 'CCDOPS and SBIG Universal Driver (Retired)' started by Jeffrey Larsen, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Jeffrey Larsen

Jeffrey Larsen Cyanogen Customer

I am on a restrictive network and ftp is forbidden.

As a result SBIGDriverChecker64 will not run in any shape or form when I try to update Drivers. Just hangs and eventually dies with a "If you have a firewall enabled try disabling it and Download again." error. I cannot change my firewall and I will not receive permission to do so.

In the past I remember getting the sbigudrv.dll manually from a machine where it could install and then dropping it in the Windows/System directory. When I do so, it shows up in Driver checker with the most recent version and build date like I expect.

But connecting the camera, however, there is no joy.

I get a "USBX-CAM Engine" appearing in the Device Manager that says it has no compatible drivers for this device. I am unable to proceed from that point.

Alternately I try the "Firmware" tab on the SBIGDriverChecker64 to "Get Firmware Version from Camera." That fails with the error message "Could not link the SBIGUDRV.DLL. Please click Update on the Drivers Tab and try again." Which I can't do.

I know there is a manual way to do this. I did it with a similar system five years ago, but my notes are lost to history. Could someone tell me how to install an STXL-11002 or STX-16803 manually?

Thanks!

Jeff Larsen

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hi Jeff,
    It's pretty simple. The downloadable executable for the SBIG Driver Checker actually includes a copy of the drivers.

Run the SBIG Driver Checker.
    Click [Update]
    It asks:
    Download latest drivers?
    (requires an active internet connection)
    Click [No]
    Click [Update Me]
    Follow the rest of the update steps.
    It will use the local copy that it has, and will install it.

Then you should be good to go.

Jeffrey Larsen likes this.
  3. Jeffrey Larsen

Thanks much! I will give that a try! Is there some magic to when the camera plugs in? Certainly any references to the "Add New Hardware Wizard" in the manual are giving me trouble, because the Wizard has apparently left town and isn't coming back! :)

Cheers,

Jeff

4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Add Hardware Wizard retired from years of service at Microsoft. They gave him a nice gold watch and let the new kids take over.
    If you launch Device Manager, and click on the computer name, then Action... Scan for Hardware Changes it should find and enumerate the device and all should be well.

Jeffrey Larsen likes this.
  5. Jeffrey Larsen

Guess I just let you know I ain't much of a Windows guy (Linux). Anyway thanks so much! I'll give this a try after class today.

Regards,

Jeff