New Equipment Set-up Help and Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Mark Cordier, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Mark Cordier

Mark Cordier Standard User

I recently recieved my SBIG CCD package and had some questions (below) regarding the set-up of my camera, filter wheel and autoguider.

1. I have the FW8-8300 filter wheel and the documentation I have only provides set-up information for the FW5-8300. In step 3 of the filter wheel set-up guide, it says "The FW5-8300 uses the same electronics and commands as the CFW9 filter wheel". Which option in CCDOPS Should i use for my FW8-8300? I want to make sure I'm using the correct software configuration for my hardware.

2. When trying to change the filter names in the filter set-up dialog box, I entered the name of the filters I was using for each filter position as instructed in the documentation, but upon closing the dialog box, the names were not saved. Is there a way to fix this?

3. Is there documentation about how to set up the STi as an off-axis guide camera? I'm looking for cable diagrams and things of that nature.Do I still need to use the USB cable or do I only need to connect the 'phone jack' cable between the autoguider and the body of my STF-8300?

4. Lastly, I'm running CCDOPS on a windows 8 laptop with a high resolution screen and the icon bar is too small to be readable/usable. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

While you wait for other answers, re #3 the STi is a standalone camera - USB to the computer, not connected to the main camera. The phone jack can be connected to the guider input of the mount, if you wish to do so. If your mount supports it, there may be a software option such as DirectGuide that sends software commands to move the mount instead of using the guider relay cable.

3. Tim Puckett

Tim Puckett Guest

Hi Mark,

If you want to call me I can help you via phone and teamviewer if needed.

Regards
    Tim

4. Mark Cordier

Thanks Tim, if possible I'd prefer to have a written copy. I like having written copies of the instructions for my records in case any of these things pop up again in the future.

thanks
    mark

5. Mark Cordier

Hi Tim,

Just wanted to ping you again to see if you had a chance to work on any of the above questions.

thanks
    mark

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Tim is at a conference this week, so isn't available.

His offer was to log in remotely and assist. He can't give you a "written copy" because he has to work through the issues with you.

He will be back in the office next week. If you can't wait until then, please call the office and we'll see if someone else can help you.

7. Mark Cordier

hi Doug,

Some of the questions I asked should have really been addressed in the standard documentation sent with the items I purchased. would you be able to help me with those (copied below)?

1. I have the FW8-8300 filter wheel and the documentation I have only provides set-up information for the FW5-8300. In step 3 of the filter wheel set-up guide, it says "The FW5-8300 uses the same electronics and commands as the CFW9 filter wheel". Which option in CCDOPS Should i use for my FW8-8300? I want to make sure I'm using the correct software configuration for my hardware.

3. Is there documentation about how to set up the STi as an off-axis guide camera? I'm looking for cable diagrams and things of that nature.Do I still need to use the USB cable or do I only need to connect the 'phone jack' cable between the autoguider and the body of my STF-8300?

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

9. Mark Cordier

Thank you, Doug. The manual you linked (and the one I referred to in my question) only mentions CFW9 for the FW5 hardware, though you're indicating it can be used for the FW8 as well, which is what i wanted to know. It may avoid confusion if the manual explicitly stated to use CFW9 for the FW8 as well. Or if the software was updated to include the standard products currently offered by SBIG

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

CCDOPS is very long in the tooth. It's really just meant to make sure you can run the camera "out of the box". Almost everyone buys themselves something more powerful, whether that be MaxIm DL or some other third party program.

11. Mark Cordier

Does that mean CCDOPS is no longer supported or maintained by SBIG? CCDOPS certainly doesn't seem like it was designed to simply check the equipment was functioning.

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We are doing routine maintenance as required. But we're not going to add anything to it, and it will ultimately be retired.