Staff Assigned: Tim New FW8G-STXL Guider not working

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Martin Pugh, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Doug
    I have assembled my new STXL16200 and FW8G-STXL.

First issue is that the shadow of the prism cannot be removed from an f3.8 scope. I have rotated the adjuster fully clockwise, per the instructions, and the shadow of the prism remains a significant amount.

However, the internal guider is defective as I am getting zero value ADU on exposures, just a black screen. I am selecting 'imagers built in autoguider' which does not seem right but it connects. However, if I select 'STXL16200/External Remote' Maxim states that 'it cannot initialize camera 2' I am using version 6.11.

This is also the same in the latest version of The SkyX and CCDOps. With the latter I am able to select 'External Tracker'.

Any suggestions, am I missing something or do I need to send it back?

Martin

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You need to select external guider.

f/3.8 is an extremely fast system and you may not be able to prevent some vignetting on the sensor.

3. Martin Pugh

Doug - the only way to select 'external guider' is when you select 'imager built in autoguider' That is the only time you get to select either internal or external. I have tried both options with the same result.

I have also changed out the HDMI cable with no change.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please try it with the CCDOPS software.

5. Martin Pugh

Done that Doug. In fact this is one of the first things I did once I detected a problem with Maxim and SkyX.

6. Tim

Tim Staff Member

In MaxIm DL, once you select "External Guider" did you also check "Dual Chip Mode"?

Also check to be sure the HDMI cable is fully inserted as sometimes they appear to be connected correctly, but are not.

7. Martin Pugh

The only way you can select 'External guider' is if you check 'Dual Chip Mode'. There is no other way to do it in Maxim.

Yes - checked the HDMI cable, and replaced it.

8. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Ok, now I am kind of confused. Where do you see 'imagers built in autoguider'? In MaxIm DL, the guider options are "Internal", or "External Remote". You should choose "External Remote".

You do not need to check "Dual Chip Mode" to select "External Remote", but the guider ccd will not work without it checked in MaxIm DL. On the "Setup SBIG Universal" window, select "External Remote" as the "Guide Chip", and click "OK". Then on the "Camera Control" -> "Setup" tab, check the "Dual Chip Mode" checkbox. That should be it. The fact that you are getting a Camera 2 error tells me there is something setup as Camera 2 when there shouldn't be...it should be empty or disabled altogether.

If the above does not work, please send a screenshot so we can see what you see, or we can setup a remote TeamViewer session.

9. Martin Pugh

Tim

thanks for sorting me out on this one. Got it work.

cheers
    Martin

10. Martin Pugh

Tim, I spoke too soon on this. The guider is not working. I thought I had it sorted out, but the image off the camera is black and there is no ADU readout. I have configured it as you have described and I dont get the camera 2 error.

I only have 3 weeks left in the US so I need to get this sorted before I return to AUS.

Thanks
    Martin

11. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Please zip and send us your "Settings" folder located in "My Documents/MaxIm DL 6", so we may see what options you have set.

Can you send a screenshot of what you are seeing when the issue occurs?

12. Martin Pugh

Tim - I moved the camera indoors last night but used the same SBIG power supply and same USB cable. Changed out the HDMI cables again also.

Initially, I got no data, then it started to work. I moved the camera back out to the imaging PC/Scope today and used a different USB port on the imaging PC and it worked straight away. So I dont know if this is intermittent or not - although it seems like it.

regardless, the settings folder is attached.

I will get a screen shot to you when the error next occurs - which is just a black image off the guider, and no ADU values.

cheers
    Martin

Attached Files:

13. Martin Pugh

Tim

the problem has taken a different turn. It appears that the guider in the FW8G filter wheel cannot be focussed on this telescope which is an f3.8 system. The main camera is in focus.

See the attached images - one is with the ccd at one extremity of its travel and the other is with the ccd at the other extremity.

Do you have a fix for this?

Martin

Attached Files:

14. Martin Pugh

Tim

one thought if this cannot be fixed - as this is a brand new FW8G - Can I exchange it for the FW8S with a refund for the difference of course.

thanks
    Martin

15. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Does the same occur with binning=1 and no Simple Auto-dark?

Can you please provide the serial number for the filter wheel?

16. Martin Pugh

Morning Tim and thanks for the prompt reply.

I did think the autodark may have been a problem, so I have taken images across all 3 bin modes with and without autodark.

However, the principle issue is not being able to focus the guider on this fast system, something I never expected. Having gone to both extremities of the adjuster for the guider, taken images, and then backed it off just one turn to ensure I have not swung right through focus, I am positive the guider cannot be brought to focus. With the FW8S taking up less back focus, 0.7" less, I will be able to fit in an OAG and retainthe better resolution the 16200 offers with this scope.

The serial number is XS14030065.

Thanks for your help. Just keen to get it resolved before I go home to AUS in 3 weeks.

Martin

17. Martin Pugh

Tim

Any progress on this issue please?
    thanks
    Martin

18. Martin Pugh

Doug/Tim

heard via your Marketing manager that you will not exchange the FW8G-STXL for the FW8S-STXL per my request, stating that the guiding CCD should come to focus regardless of the f.ratio. Afraid not - check the images I posted.

Thanks for not bothering to reply in the forum for a support request.

I guess its pointless asking how the FW8G-STXL transmission/receive timeout problem is going?

Martin Pugh

19. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Tim was following up with you directly; that's a problem?

That's an extremely fast system you are using; you may not be able to avoid vignetting with an off-axis guider. However, you should be able to focus. I would suggest, as an experiment, moving the mirror inwards with the CCD retracted fully, to see if that brings it into focus. Although it will increase vignetting it will at least help us determine where your focus plane is.

That said, I just had a look at your FITS images and they do not look normal. I suspect there is something up with your cable.

Are you referring to the fellow with the motor timeout message? That's a one-off and he's been referred to service.