New ST-i Camera will not connect

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Cliff Kotnik, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Cliff Kotnik

Cliff Kotnik Cyanogen Customer

I fail to get a new ST-i camera to connect to my Win7 64 bit machine. This is my first SBIG camera.

I have downloaded an installed the latest driver checker from the web:
    SBIG 64 Bit Driver Checker Utility V 4.00 Byukd 14 (64 bit)

I used it to download the latest drivers (Download Update). Once completed, I plug in the camera. The "installing..." dialogs proceed per doc. Win 7 device manager shows the "SBIG USB Devices" group with "SBIG USB 64-bit Camera with Firmware" okay with no warnings. The green LED on the camera is on.

I downloaded the latest CCDOpts program from the web:
    CCDops 5.57 build 3-NT.

I run CCDOps and verify the Misc->Graphics COMM is set to USB
    When I select Camera->Establish COM link, there is an audible clunk from the camera and CCDops gives an error "No camera could be found....".

Am I missing a step here?

2. Cliff Kotnik

Well after much trial and error, I have connected. I tried every USB port on my laptop without success. Finally, I plugged the camera into a USB hub connected to a docking station USB port and it worked.

So this begs the question of whether I will get it to work at the scope. Exactly what are the USB port requirements for the SBIG drivers?

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The ST-I requires the maximum 500 mA USB power supply. It is possible that your laptop does not have the capability of supplying full power (I'm not sure it's formally USB compliant in that case).

A powered USB hub will resolve the situation.

4. Cliff Kotnik

Is the ST-I known to work in a USB 3 port?