Newbie Question on ST-I

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by BreizMor, Jul 18, 2016.

1. BreizMor

BreizMor Standard User

Hi

i bought an ST-I Camera and have some issues focusing with it with the CCDSoftware. Unike many, i do not wish to use it as guider (as i have an altz mount LX200 GPS) but as planetary camera. I am completely new in this so, please forgive me if i am asking really stupid questions :) and English is not my mother language either so, please excuse on this side alse :)
    1) How do you set up the camera to fit the telescopethe telescope? Do you put it straight into the erected prism? pushing it right through? or must i use a an extender or ...
    2) must i use a ring attached around the camera to fix the camera into the tube?
    3) i do not have either a secondary scope, therefore, i must first focus my eyepiece, then remove it and replace it with the camera therefore, to achieve coarse focus first, what focal length is closest to the ST-i? When i used my old DSI Pro, i used a 9 mm eyepiece first ...

Thank you for your time and patience.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I would skip the erecting prism, unless you can't reach focus without it. No point having extra optics in the path.

Insert the camera and gently tighten the focuser setscrew.

The chip is very slightly farther back in the ST-I than the DSI, because of the shutter. The exact position really depends on the eyepiece. I'm afraid you'll have to use trial-and-error.

These might be useful: http://www.telescope.com/Accessorie...ocal-Rings-Set-of-Four/c/3/sc/40/p/100280.uts